When Dream And Day Unite review by Dream Theater

• Released: Mar 6, 1989
Dream Theater: When Dream And Day Unite

This is Dream Theater's debut album, and is their only album with lead singer Charlie Dominici. It is also their only album without a song over ten minutes. It's a progressive metal album, but the vocals don't really fit in because Charlie Dominici is more of a pop vocalist. But the musicianship is still pretty good. There are many great solos and unisons by guitarist John Petrucci and keyboardist Kevin Moore.

The lyrics are actually really well written. It's just that Charlie Dominici is more of an 80's rock style singer. His voice sounds like the guy from Journey. His replacement, James LaBrie, is more suited for the kind of music DT plays. The lyrics generally flow well with the music.

It's safe to say that this is DT's least popular album. I agree, I'm not a huge fan of it either. But it's still good to listen to every so often, so I can remember how far they've come, from this album to albums like Scenes and Six Degrees. The instrumentalists are very talented, but vocalist Charlie Dominici is more suited for a radio-oriented rock band, not a progressive metal band. Many of the tracks are well done, though. If it were stolen or lost, I would probably buy it again, because it's still a pretty good DT album. But if you're new to them, don't buy this first. Give most of their other albums a try first.

pangui
    The line in "Light Fuse and Get Away" that says "No gain no pain" is meant to be that way, and sums up the theme of the entire song. If you analyse the lyrics, you will see what I mean. I've got the When Dream and Day Reunite DVD, which has Kevin Moore's explanation of the lyrics, and he mentioned that line as being crucial to the rest of the lyrics.
    'Leviathan'
    I disagree with CapatainSBDA about the song names and themes. It is progressive metal, the names have to be mysterious and weird. 'The Ones Who Help to Set The Sun' is a very interesting and well thought out name, and it suits the band perfectly. While I do like James LaBrie much more than Dominici, I must still give him credit for trying. :3
    LarsHamfield
    That last review is insanely wrong :S Dominici has an incredible voice and the lyrics are amazing and remain among petrucci and portnoys favourite lyrics just listen to only a matter of time and youl find out exactly what they mean they are probably my favourite DT lyrics of all time
    orange_juice
    walkinbazooka : Green Gay? wow you're mature...
    sure it's immature but who can argue with the logic?