Southern Rock Opera review by Drive-By Truckers

• Released: Jan 1, 2001
Drive-By Truckers: Southern Rock Opera

This is a raw, straight-up southern rock album. There is no contrived anything on this album, it is just simple rock and roll. Sound-wise, the guitar sound is naturally loose and unkempt, for better or worse. While they certainly could of used a more powerful guitar sound, the question is if that would ruin the vibe of the record. I couldn't tell you. Youd have to decide.

The lyrics here are straight-up, no nonsense, but at the same time, very intellegent. For an isotopical view of the lyrical prowess, listen to the track "The Three Great Alabama Icons." A history lesson on Alabamas policies towards race, very compelling and kickass. Not only are the lyrics good, but Patterson Hood sings everything very convincingly and compellingly. It's simply a tour-de-force.

This album is excellent and owns the vast majority of modern rock albums released, ever. However, there is something I dont like about this album, preventing me from giving it a 5. Probably it's length. It's a 2-disc set, and with that, there is some filler. Filler is never good. But the crucial songs easily rectify any problem existing with filler. If I could give this album a 4.5, I would. A 4 will have to suffice. Do buy this album. Right now.