Southern Rock Opera Review

Released: Oct 2001
Label: SDR
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Country-Rock, Indie Rock
After a few spins of Southern Rock Opera, you might even find yourself digging out those old Skynyrd LPs to hear the real thing again.
 9.2
 8.7
 9.7
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Southern Rock Opera Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 20, 2005

Sound: This is a raw, straight-up southern rock album. There is no contrived anything on this album, it is just simple rock and roll. Sound-wise, the guitar sound is naturally loose and unkempt, for better or worse. While they certainly could of used a more powerful guitar sound, the question is if that would ruin the vibe of the record. I couldn't tell you. Youd have to decide. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics here are straight-up, no nonsense, but at the same time, very intellegent. For an isotopical view of the lyrical prowess, listen to the track "The Three Great Alabama Icons." A history lesson on Alabamas policies towards race, very compelling and kickass. Not only are the lyrics good, but Patterson Hood sings everything very convincingly and compellingly. It's simply a tour-de-force. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is excellent and owns the vast majority of modern rock albums released, ever. However, there is something I dont like about this album, preventing me from giving it a 5. Probably it's length. It's a 2-disc set, and with that, there is some filler. Filler is never good. But the crucial songs easily rectify any problem existing with filler. If I could give this album a 4.5, I would. A 4 will have to suffice. Do buy this album. Right now. // 8

Comments