In Vogue Review

9.2
 9.1
 9.3
In Vogue Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 23, 2008

Sound: When I first listened to DDG, I really didn't know what to think. I had never heard a sound like theirs. I can only describe it as post-hardcore meets add. With songs that last 1:30sec to 2:30sec this band doesn't leave much to become bored with, but within the songs, there are enough changes to grab your attention. This band is well worth the time invested in discovering them. This bands vocals are severely simple, yet bluntly complex. With a scream like no other, DDG just happens to be one of my favorite bands to date. They are truely unique. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics contained in each song fits the music to a tee. They're also simple, yet they mean so much. "Let's light the stage on fire, Hollywood would be jealous" may be the first line to catch my attention, but every song holds a surprise to listeners. The vocals are completely and utterly amazing. Like Pierce The Veil meets Lamb Of God, meets Trivium, the vocals have the element of harmony, with a high-pitched, yet goosebump-raising growl that is sure to tickle your fancy. // 9

Overall Impression: "Fashion Your Seatbelt" because this album is a ride like no other. With bone-crushing breakdowns, high-pitched growls, and guitar work that makes sharp notes sound like a commodity, DDG has captured my attention, and still wont let go. I love the harmonies that aren't expected of such type of vocals, and I'm not sure that there's anything I don't like. DDG has made the piano a "hardcore" insturment. Their amazing playing style knows no bounds, and I reccomend this CD for anyone who likes Pierce the Veil, TDWP, KillWhitneyDead, or any other fast, action filled post-hardcore band. // 8

In Vogue Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 24, 2007

Sound: The sound is very heavy and distorted. The lead guitar does a whole lot of hig stringed soloing on some songs, while the second guitar just kinda sits there and does the same note over and over. But the mix of these two things are great, and mixed with the harsh screams (you say all screams sound the same, but this guy's are so different in their sound) of Danny Stillman (Stills) they almost totally make the band. The drums are what you'd expect from a screamo/hardcore band: loud, fast (especially on the kick drum, you'd think they were using a double) and hard. The bass isn't really heard, it seems to get lost in the madness. The keyboard in this band is crazy though. He has oviously had many years of practise. The songs may sound the same to some, but they are very different if you listen. In some of them (The Show Must Go On being a perfect example) it breaks down from the madness into A) A total rant backed by the harmony of the guitars and drums and B) a small part where it repeats one of the main lines "Let's set the stage on fire, and Hollywood will be jealous" then picks up into an allout chaotic ending. Perfect. The only song to have a video "Dressed For Friend Requests" is a very good song, and at the begining showcases the pianos that make the band different. The best songs are probably E.R. which boasts an (about) 21 second long scream, then ends with the beeping noise from the heart monitor in a hospital, and a piano solo. Daniel, Where's The Boat? is another great one, and this has the lead singer singing at the begining. Overall, this band sounds great. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics from some songs are very very short, and it often has the lead singer repeating the same line over and over. Other than that, the lyrics are pretty inteligent, and they usually stick to the main theme of the song (example- E.R. has it about a hospital and stuff like that). So there really isnt anything else to say about the lyrics, except that you probably won't understand them, because most are screaming. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, this band sounds great, and different from every other screamo band out there. I don't say go pick up this album now, go listen to them on the internet first. Besides, if you don't like their sound now, they will have a more metal sound in their upcoming album. If you don't like this kind of music at all, then go listen to their side projects (Scarlet O'Hara (electronica) Aaron Rothe (acoustic)). Now, I love everything about this band, and if the CD got lost or stolen, I would immediately go find the guy that stole it, or go buy a new one. // 9

In Vogue Reviewed by: punk8080@aol.co, on april 23, 2007

Sound: This is a band featured on the Alternitive Press 100 bands you need to know in 2007 and they certinly an they diserve to be oneof them. This band's style in this debut record is thrash, punk metal, and screamo. The screams are bloody kind of like Spencer Chamberlin of Underoath but more wild and more urge of tragedy while the insturments have the attitude of chiodos. I fell in love with the band when my drummer downloaded Daniel, wheres the boat? But if you are going to Warped Tour this summer you may have discovered your new favorite band. // 10

Lyrics: DDG has some very catchy lyrics although some of them are two sentences long. But they make it look good like "Marietta" (track 6), it's like two sentences but it a great song. The lyrics definently go with the music. And the singer, he can use throat easily. And song titles are very random and they surprise you with them. // 9

Overall Impression: Like I said earlier they compare to underoath and chiodos well. The most impressive song on the record are Dressed For Friend Requests, Daniel Where's The Boat, Fashion Your Seatbelts, In Vogue, and, The Show Must Go On. What I like about is that all the songs are under 4 minutes and there's nothing I don't likeon it. Well, I downloaded the record so I might just go buy it and if it got stolen I'd beat the crap out of whiever stole it. And if it ever got lost, I'd set up a search party as if I lost my dog. // 10

Comments