Worse Than A Fairy Tale review by Drop Dead, Gorgeous

• Released: Aug 14, 2007
Drop Dead, Gorgeous: Worse Than A Fairy Tale

Since the release of In Vogue, Drop Dead, Gorgeous has changed a lot musically. This time around, they are writing songs instead of two minute breakdowns (I think that's what they're called, if it's not, I'm talking about the Chugga Chugga Chugga Choo Choo, that the guitar does). The guitar is more complex, while still maintaining the heavyness and energy of a DD, G record. And sometimes, it even sounds like they are just destroying their instruments, which adds a very nice touch when they are describing the mind of the killer. Worse Than A Fairy Tale is a story about a killer in the fictional town of Saylor Lake, Colorado. Twelve songs, each for a different murder. Then some of the songs go deep inside the mind of the killer.

The screaming (yes, there is some) has improved. All members of the band that do scream, improved. It's not the same 'throwing up and screaming' that was in In Vogue. It sounds improved (you can actually hear what he's saying) while still keeping the uniqueness in his scream. The lead singer does try to "sing" a lot more in the record. For some, this is a disaster. For others, it sounds kind of nice. He doesnt't have an amazing singing voice, it sounds more like crying, but at least he's trying. There are times on the record where the singing is very nice (the title track, and "It Sounded Like An Accident"). The lyrics are different, but not way different than any other metalcore album. Some parts sound kind of funny (Come closer girl, I'll light you on fire, you deserver that much). The final part of "I Want To Master Life and Death" has some of the best lyrics that DD, G has ever written, in my opinion.

This album is really unique. But sometimes unique isn't good. That's for you to decide. Personally, this album is unique in a good sense. There's much better to listen to, but you just can't stop listening to this album. All of the songs sound different. What I don't like too much is the lyrics. Then again, it's also one of the best point of the album. I would buy this album again, if I had to, only because they probably need the money after losing fans, and because this CD is pretty good.

nodurquack
    [quote= The Spoon]He doesnt't have an amazing singing voice, it sounds more like crying, but at least he's trying. There are times on the record where the singing is very nice (the title track, and "It Sounded Like An Accident").[/quote] That isn't his actual sing voice, he sounds like he's crying on purpose to add to the feel of the songs. He actually has a really good singing voice. Also, on "It Sounded Like An Accident" they also used guest vocals from the guys in Idiot Piolt.
    soldyoursoul
    "The keyboardist was also used much less frequently, resulting in that the guitars and vocals had to set much of the mood and feel for the album." Actually, Aaron is used more on this album. He's on nearly every track, although he's in the background with other instruments, whereas in In Vogue, he was on the foreground during breakdowns and stuff. Anyway, I agree with you. It's a stepup musically, and lyrically (the concept), but the vocals turn me off. I realize they're -supposed- to be whiney sounding, but I mean, come on, 12 tracks of that is harsh! What would be great is it the keyboardist (who isn't even present in some tracks) was the lead singer, tne Danny handled screaming. They did that in "Knife vs face round 1" and "the show must go on" of In Vogue, and it worked brilliantly. Also, there wasn't enough screaming altogether.
    rufioisaninja
    This cd sucked alot they could have done way better the sound of this new cd was actually really dull compared to Be Mine, Valentine and In Vogue for the fact of Danny doesnt scream pretty much at all, which was one of the best screams and that the guitars wernt the same and drums were a lot lighter everything sounded different they were a kind of band that used harmonics and stuff and very heavy breakdowns all they have in this new cd is crappy sound and different vocals I blame the new record label there on they were originally on Rise records which is usually heavier stuff like The Devil Wears Prada, At The Throne of Judgement, and other stuff Drop Dead, Gorgeous is still on rise but more with Suretone now Suretone has bands like Angels and Airwaves, thats not what DD,G is like either overrall this cd was terrible and they could have done better and had alot more screaming, his old scream..when it was better
    tviscomcastic
    So what you're saying is that you want bands to stay the same way, and not try out new stuff, cus really thats defeating the whole purpose of making a record. bands change, they want to make new music that doesnt sound like hte same shit theyve been playing almost everyday for 2 years. it happens. i'm not saying you have to like it, but complaining about them changing and saying it sucks is really a matter of opinion. and it doesn't matter what type of band they were, all that matters is what they're doing now musically, how they're trying to grow and expand on the music they can make. changing a musical style to something new that fans aren't used to is a big step and takes balls. DD,G has those balls. fa sho.
    emolove
    i love this album and i also loved in Vogue... in vogue, i love the screams and the guitar riffs but in worse than a fairy tale u can see and obviously hear these guys talent, the guitars were ****ing awesome, the keys, the drums, every instrument takes you to the creepy history behind the album... i get the fans who are mad as hell with the band for changing so much in every aspect... but you gotta cut them some slack... i think every band has to evolve and grow it would be boring if they have the same thing over and over again... give the album a chance give it a good listen!!