Worse Than A Fairy Tale Review

Lyrics: 7.5
 7.9
 8.1
Worse Than A Fairy Tale Reviewed by: rockonmetal83, on august 20, 2007

Sound: To start, Drop Dead, Gorgeous explored many more territories musically than their last release, In Vogue. The only lacking part of the music is the bass is only audible about 3 times on the whole cd. The keyboardist was also used much less frequently, resulting in that the guitars and vocals had to set much of the mood and feel for the album. The guitars are much more intuitive than In Vogue. Worse Than A Fairy Tale was written based around Saylor Lake, Colorado, in which an insane murderer killed 12 people in the time frame of October 27th, 1978 to September 7th, 1979. The guitars chainsaw they're way through most songs, breaking only to give more feeling to the lyrics. The way most of the music is composed, you'll find that some songs sound extremely similiar to you, but then every other track brings something different to the table. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are very refined and appropriate to the mood. They show the inside of a killers mind quite well, with things such as from the track "45223" Danny Stillman yells, "It's all your fault! You did this to yourself!" and in the grand, six and a half minute finale, "I want to master life and death" he says "I swear, I swear, you won't find her body. In time the rain with every season, will wash the bones down the river." Danny Stillman captures the vibe of the album and story very well with his vocals, yet his singing may make you cringe sometimes. The screaming to singing ratio is completely reversed on this album, and it may take old fans a while to get used to. // 7

Overall Impression: Worse Than A Fairy Tale was a big step for Drop Dead, Gorgeous. It's just ones opinion if this step was for the better. In Vogue was much less musically prepared, and that being said, some band memebers on this CD were much underused for the potential they have. Ross Robinson knows how to bring out the good in bands, much like he did with Drop Dead, Gorgeous. With songs like "It sounded like an accident" and "They'll never get me" this CD is most impressive, once you've sinked securely into the deep storyline behind this album. // 8

Worse Than A Fairy Tale Reviewed by: The Spoon, on august 28, 2007

Sound: Since the release of In Vogue, Drop Dead, Gorgeous has changed a lot musically. This time around, they are writing songs instead of two minute breakdowns (I think that's what they're called, if it's not, I'm talking about the Chugga Chugga Chugga Choo Choo, that the guitar does). The guitar is more complex, while still maintaining the heavyness and energy of a DD, G record. And sometimes, it even sounds like they are just destroying their instruments, which adds a very nice touch when they are describing the mind of the killer. Worse Than A Fairy Tale is a story about a killer in the fictional town of Saylor Lake, Colorado. Twelve songs, each for a different murder. Then some of the songs go deep inside the mind of the killer. // 8

Lyrics: The screaming (yes, there is some) has improved. All members of the band that do scream, improved. It's not the same 'throwing up and screaming' that was in In Vogue. It sounds improved (you can actually hear what he's saying) while still keeping the uniqueness in his scream. The lead singer does try to "sing" a lot more in the record. For some, this is a disaster. For others, it sounds kind of nice. He doesnt't have an amazing singing voice, it sounds more like crying, but at least he's trying. There are times on the record where the singing is very nice (the title track, and "It Sounded Like An Accident"). The lyrics are different, but not way different than any other metalcore album. Some parts sound kind of funny (Come closer girl, I'll light you on fire, you deserver that much). The final part of "I Want To Master Life and Death" has some of the best lyrics that DD, G has ever written, in my opinion. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is really unique. But sometimes unique isn't good. That's for you to decide. Personally, this album is unique in a good sense. There's much better to listen to, but you just can't stop listening to this album. All of the songs sound different. What I don't like too much is the lyrics. Then again, it's also one of the best point of the album. I would buy this album again, if I had to, only because they probably need the money after losing fans, and because this CD is pretty good. // 8

Comments