The Meanest Of Times review by Dropkick Murphys

• Released: Sep 18, 2007
Dropkick Murphys: The Meanest Of Times

When you first play the CD the first song (Famous For Nothing) comes on fast and leaves a good impression with a stunning harmony at the end. The album then continues to mix irish folk and punk together well as the Dropkick Murphys have been able to do so many times. However I found that in about the 2nd quarter of the album the songs tend to sound not so different. The do make up for this with Flannigan's Ball, a pretty much awesome, irish folk song transformed into punk and with Jonny, I hardly knew ya (which is also a traditional irish folk song transformed). I found the last song a bit of a bore, but by the end of the album I was already pleased with the other songs that were very pleasant to listen to.

One thing I find with the dropkick murphys is that though some songs of their's may not be my favourite. Their lyrics are somewhat spectacular. In Famous For Nothing they were able to tell a story of their childhood in a brilliant musical piece. Alex Barr is probably not the best singer in the world, but he does suit this type of music, and the extra singers found in a few of the songs are a great asset to some of the songs.

This album is up there in my list of 'favourite present punk album' but I do also think there is a bad side to this album, like I said, I think that some of the songs tend to sound the same during the 2nd quarter of the album. But overall I think this album is worth buying, I think even if you only knew 'I'm Shipping Up To Boston' you'd like this album (although I would recommend you to buy other of their albums first).

godisasniper
    Awesome album...also, find their cover of John Fogerty's Fortunate Son, it's a great cover.
    Cobalt Blue
    this is a pretty kick ass album.. I think I like Warriors Code a weee bit better... but their cover of Thin Lizzy's Jail Breakd (the bonus track) was quite badass.