The Meanest Of Times review by Dropkick Murphys

• Released: Sep 18, 2007
Dropkick Murphys: The Meanest Of Times

The Dropkick Murphys made what I had already thought good, even better. Since I was a kid I've always loved Celtic folk, Dropkick Murphys found a way to make it perfect. On their other albums, they have done traditional Irish folk, and songs that relate to actual problems, and this album is no exception. They do their folk with "Lannigan's Ball" and "Johnny I Hardly Knew Ya", and they don't fail to please. Dropkick Murphys have always been masters of their genre by taking their heritage music and translating it into some of the most intense Oi! music ever conceived.

Dropkick Murphys have managed to take subjects as challenging as a growing divorce rate ("Walk Away" on Blackout) and put it into a song you can rock to. They have once again managed to capture attention with very fragile problems with today's society with songs like "Shattered", expressing the views one has of someone like a trusted friend or public figure, and how those views are shattered by witnessing the dark side of the person at hand. Though a subject such as a sex scandal in the Catholic church is taboo and very sensitive, they laid it out there in clear words describing a child being "abused by the parish priest" and then acquiring a gun to replenish pride. Another testament to this is "State of Massachusetts" which deals with children being taken away from negligent and abusive parents. These lyrics are very potent and get the point across without skipping a beat.

To tell the truth, this is one of their best albums. The first album I ever heard by them was "The Warrior's Code", and even though it is so praised, I was not a huge fan. To me, this album is third to Blackout and then Sing Loud, Sing Proud. I loved every song except for "Fairmount Hill" which is not necessarily a bad song, but it was a little to quiet for me. This album was very well done in that it sticks to classic Murphys by keeping a fast pace all the while maintaining steady singing and, of course, bagpipes.

MerryGoRound
    radioplay
    MerryGoRound wrote: I bought this album under recomendation from the Cd store salesmen. He claimed it 'Alternative Rock". So I buy it, under the false pretense of it being good, and it has definitely been THE worst album I have ever bought. All well and good for you who like this kind of music, as i guess its an aquired taste, but i found it a huge waste of my hard earned cash.
    im guessing that you are not of Irish/Scottish descent...being from Boston,ive yet to meet an Irish person like myself that dislikes the Dropkicks, yet i know of only one non-Irish person who IS a fan. It is kind of an acquired taste. on a different note (as i type wearing a Dropkicks t-shirt), this is my favorite band,and my second-favorite album of theirs, behind Do Or Die...also still one my favorite albums of all time.Buy it, one of the best albums this decade.
    Zoso68
    The funny thing is how no one knows Flannigans Ball, Johnny I hardly knew ye and fairmount hill are all traditional songs, not written by them
    Zoso68
    or Fields of Athenry, Workers song, Auld Triangle green fields of france, wild rover for that matter
    Cannibalhell666
    This album is great but some of the song they did not wrote but still great album one of my favroite band.
    Zoso68
    Green Fields is by eric bogle, look up the version by the fureys, its also called no mans land, but its the exact same music and lyrics
    -tempest-
    ehhh i live in boston and i hate this band, i respect them and every thing but, honesty not for me
    Armagedn
    As far as Irish bands go, I like Flogging Molly the best, but these guys are pretty good.
    kopaczkiller
    HotDogs1 wrote: DKM is scottish, flogging molly is irish
    no every one except al barr is of irish decent, barr is the only scottish one