The Warrior's Code review by Dropkick Murphys

• Released: Jun 21, 2005
Dropkick Murphys: The Warrior's Code

As a fan of the Murphys ever since the pre-Al Barr days of "Do Or Die" and "The Gangs All Here," I was very impressed with "Blackout" and simply couldnt wait until Warrior came out. The sound is pure, vintage Dropkick. Awesome bag-pipe work done by new piper Scruffy Wallace (Spicy was was more technical though), Al's vocals have such a better range as they did in previous albums, Ken Casey is getting better and is in his prime with his signature "long-drawn-out-not taking a breath" style. The duo of, The Kid and James Lynch remains the same, nothing out of the ordinary but still impressive none-the-less and still solid drumming from Matt Kelly. The additio of tin wistle, mandolin and accordian of Tim Brennan completes the Murphys and I'm hoping for plenty more ass kicking music to come!

I woulndt expect anything else from these guys. Mostly traditional Irish folk songs that have been what I like to call "Dropkicked." If your looking for songs about breakups and sad shit of that nature, you've come to the wrong place junior! Here, your gonna find songs about the working class (Citizen CIA), what it takes to be a champion (The Warrior's Code), what happens when you cheat on a guy's women (Captain Kelly's Kitchen), what it takes to show your sensative side (Wicked Sensative Crew) and what a night of drinking does to a man (Sunshine Highway), plus many many more kick ass tunes. As said before, Al has improved and seems to flow alot more with the band and Ken is at the top of his game with no signs of slowing donw!

Another sucessful album, from the hard working boys from Boston, with plenty more to come I hope. The stand-out tracks on the album are, The Warrior's Code (a song about Boston boxing legend Micky Ward, on what it takes to be a champion), The Auld Triangle (what it was like to in prison in the Old Country), The Green Fields of France (a very very moving song, taking about war, and the good it never brings) and Last Letter Home (the lyrics of this song are actual letters written back and forth from a family to their son, Andrew Farrar, who was a fan of Dropkick and stationed in Irap, he sadly lost his life). This is by far my favorite Dropkick album and if someone stole it, I've still got 5 copies (serious). Can't wait for more. Lets go Murphys!