The Warrior's Code review by Dropkick Murphys

• Released: Jun 21, 2005
Dropkick Murphys: The Warrior's Code

The Murphy's music has been a faithful companion to me ever since I first came to America. Personally, I think of them as a young Flogging Molly; Mainly Punk, a little regular rock, with a splash of Irish pride. This year's follow up to 'Blackout' did not leave me disappointed, as this album is just as good, if not a little better. It's a few songs of their own, but Dropkick Murphy's always put modern updates of old Irish folk songs. Think punk instrumentation, coupled with add-ons like mandolin, violin, bagpipes, I think I even heard a banjo once or twice. Absolutely beautiful.

Wonderful lyrics, the music is good ol' Murphys, but this time around, it felt different. Everything matched up well, singing skills of the group have grown a lot. The lyrics just felt more grown up, more mature. They took a few tracks off to be themselves, but the album is still more serious than compared to others. Still, it's utter perfection.

Rated against every other album of theirs, I rank it second, after Blackout, and before Sing Loud, Sing Proud. Several songs are very memorable: Green Fields Of France has the same emotional impact as that old country song Private Malone, and The Warrior's Code title track is singlehandedly motivational enough to get a fat guy away from a free buffet. Other songs are remakes of old classics; new riffs and music, but the same melody. Captain Kelly's Kitchen took me back to the Clancy Brothers, and The Auld Triangle (traditionally sung a capella) is in my opinion the greatest remake of an old song I have ever heard. For those who missed the LP 'Tessie' The same song has been put on this cd, in celebration of the Boston Red Sox World Series victory. I love every aspect of this album, and I have no disliking of it at all. In fact, its in my stereo as I type this. If it were lost, I would surely buy it again, but in the meantime, I would listen to: Drunken Lullabies and Within a Mile of Home, by Flogging Molly. Blackout, Sing Loud Sing Proud, by the Dropkick Murphys. Anything by the Dubliners, Clancy Brothers, Irish Rovers, and the Irish Pub Singers.

Cannibalhell666
    This album is the best but all dropkick albums are great dropkick for life and yes "I'm Shipping Up To Boston" was in "The Departed" very good movie
    Sos-viper
    Outstanding album, With 'Shipping Up To Boston' really shining out ! Was Shipping Up To Boston, Featured in the film 'The Departed' ?