The Concealers review by Dååth

• Released: Apr 21, 2009
Dååth: The Concealers

Another user put it well to state that they had a sound that could interest Lamb Of God fans, which is true, but I believe this band has a sound unique to only themselves. Sure, it's modern metal, but unlike a majority of bands out there, you can hear influences pulled beyond metal's main influence, classical, hearing hints of progressive styling and even jazz. The lead guitarist, Emil Werstler, is able to pull off a bunch of jazz theories and sounds on this album if listened closely. Some listeners who aren't a fan of genre blending might not like it for that reason, but I believe it's definitely a breath of fresh air in the metal world.

I'm not one to focus much on lyrics and how they fit with "themes", and in this band I'm drawn more to the instrumental parts. The lyrics are rather dark, for example in "The Worthless". With the new addition of vocalist Sean Zatorsky the style of the lyrics has changed, and hits you with more power in my opinion than on albums like "The Hinderers" and their debut "Futility". I like this singer more than the other, if not for lyrical content then for his sound.

Daath is a hard band to place against other bands, even though they are "modern metal", as they will have some major differences in sound and influence. This is one of my favorite albums at the moment as a jazz/metal guitarist, because as influential it is to ones playing. I would say the highlights are definitely the sound as a whole, the band members seem to compliment each other. My favorite songs off it are: "Self-Corruption Manifesto", "The Worthless", "The Day Of Endless Light" (which has a great jazzy guitar solo), "Duststorm", and "...Of Poisoned Sorrows". It did take me a while to like this album, but after a few listens the playing and newer sound grew on me. If it were stolen or lost, even though I have it physically and digitally, I would get it again. It's a strong album, not for the faint of heart, but has some great songs and styles.

Good_Lord
    If only. Of course Chuck would never be playing deathcore . Is it just me or does this album have one of the worst titles ever?
    Another ignorant UGer not knowing shit about what core really is ... Daath ? deathcore ?
    Rick_Kala
    This album is a hidden gen of Modern Metal IMO. THe guitar work CLEARY seperates itself from anything being done out there. I would love to have Emil Werstler and Michael Keene do an album together. So much jazz fusion metal here....really wicked