DDP 4 Life review by Dublin Death Patrol

• Released: Apr 13, 2007
Dublin Death Patrol: DDP 4 Life

Dublin Death Patrol is a thrash project with members from bands like Testament (Chuck Billy), Exodus (Steve Souza), Laaz Rockit and Tesla. Consisting of 7+ member that seem to differ at times, this band was meant as a reunion of people who all at one time attended the same high school in Dublin (SF Bay Area). The music is not really surprising, but you can hear elements from different bay area bands, which is what makes this album interesting. The most obvious example would be the vocalist duo Billy and Souza, whom both have their signature singing styles and are getting along nicely on this record. You will understand what I mean from the very first verse of the first song, R.I.P., and you know it's on. Except for the Indian tribe music in 'Corruption', and the ballad 'Devil in Disguise', this album is pure thrash, and could have easily been released in 1990 or so. Also interesting are the cover versions of Iron Fist (Motorhead), Cold Sweat (Thin Lizzy) and Lights Out (UFO).

The lyrics are not the most riveting aspect of this album, but thrash fans aren't what they are because of the precious poetry, I suppose. Some lyrics can be quite catchy, such as 'Pigs in the Hollow' and 'DDP for Life'. Like I mentioned before, Billy and Souza do a real nice job together. I have seen them perform live together and they really give space to one another. This is also audible on the album, it is really a group effort. If you like Testament and Exodus (albums like Fabulous Disaster), this will be your cup of tea.

You should know, however, that the tempo on this album ain't like Reign in Blood or anything. There are some fast passages, but I feel they wanted more a groovy thrash thing than the borderline death metal/grindcore thrash like Kreator and Nuclear Assault respectively do. Of course it is a matter of taste whether you like that or not, but I personally have a hard time keeping my head still when listening to certain songs on this album. My favorites are 'Pigs in the Hollow', 'DDP for Life', 'Trail to the Executioner' (some killer leads there), the ballad 'Devil in Disguise' (catchy as f--k) and 'Corruption' (although for the latter I could have done without the tribal shit and they could have made it like 5 minutes instead of 12). Overall, this album is quite good, good production, and obviously the personnel speaks for itself. However, this is not the killer album I anticipated. It is OK, but not for every day. I would replace it though, if it were lost, since this feels like quite a special document to me.

krvolok
    I really hate to agree with EpiExplorer,but he is right it's boring,quite a lot of the time,actually.
    AvernusAblaze
    EpiExplorer wrote: Its a bit boring.. most thrash is, really. SOD do it better.
    SOD aren't thrash and why comment if you don't like thrash?
    mscujo666
    This album is a tribute to Dublin, CA and all the amazing talent that came out of this town. Members are in Testament, Exodus, Tesla, Machine Head, Laaz Rocket, Cliff Burton tribute band etc....no way is this boring