Duran Duran (The Wedding Album) review by Duran Duran

• Released: Feb 15, 1993
Duran Duran: Duran Duran (The Wedding Album)

Duran Duran are a New Wave musical group, active since the early 1980's. They had hits with the songs "Rio," "Girls On Film," "Ordinary World" and "Hungry Like the Wolf," but aside from that, they are not a very well-known band. That's a shame, as Duran Duran are easily one of the more interesting forgotten bands of the era they belonged to. This album proves my point. More punk than pop, but still not close enough to the stereotyped "Three chord hyperspeed" general definition of punk rock music.

Listening to the lyrics on their own, with no accompanying instruments, anybody could say, "This is 1970's punk rock," but they would be quite far off. The lyrics are very impressive when compared to the slightly odd styling of Duran Duran's biggest hits and the great, New Order-esque instrumentation makes a good fit, despite warping genre expectations... for lack of a better word. The actual skill of the main vocalist is not all that good, but they work well, given that this is post-punk, as opposed to say, symphonic death metal or something.

Oddly enough, I am not a Duran Duran fan. I don't really enjoy the rest of their albums that much. When I said they were an interesting band, I didn't mean that as in the context of them being amazing, more along the lines of musical re-invention of their sound. They still record music and I've liked some of the newer stuff, but this is probably the only album I actually like as an entire album. Also, for those confused, this album is normally referred to as Duran Duran's second self-titled album. I prefer the title I gave it, as that is how my iTunes library classifies it.

YouTube preview picture