Descend Into Depravity review by Dying Fetus

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Released: Sep 15, 2009
  • Sound: 10
  • Lyrics: 8
  • Overall Impression: 10
  • Reviewer's score: 9.3 Superb
  • Users' score: 7.3 (29 votes)
Dying Fetus: Descend Into Depravity
0

Sound — 10
While I'm not usually a big fan of death metal, Dying Fetus is definitely an exception. Even though it's their latest, it's the first I've heard from them. In other death metal-ish bands, like Whitechapel for example, they have three guitarists. DF, for this album at least, has one guitarist, one bassist, and one drummer. That's it. The sound you get from this is the same death metal sound you'd expect: all the way from thick and chunky to high pitched appregio type stuff. One of my favorite aspects is the fact the bass follows the guitar about 90% of the time, keeping up with sweep picking and all that other fancy-shmancy guitar work. The drummer here is a beast to say the least. he's pulls out some crazy drum rolls that somehow fit perfectly with the song. All in all, the guitar, bass, and vocals perfectly complement each other, none of them overpowering another. Everything is heard crystal clear.

Lyrics — 8
To be honest, I can't understand a word this guy is saying, but it sure sounds cool. I do know that his lyrics strongly deal with politics. The sound is just a low pitched growl that often sounds that it is as low as the bass. As I said earlier, the vocals complement his guitar work perfectly and plays a good part in the intense breakdowns. Sometimes, I wonder if the sounds coming out of my speakers really came from a human or not. I would think that it's too perfect to be real, but I've watched a few live performances on youtube and such, and it sounds nearly identical.

Overall Impression — 10
This is the only Dying Fetus album I have, but I'm definitely going to pick up some more in the future. Compared to other bands, in my opinion, they have a good mix of the power of death metal like Whitechapel or Necrophagist, and also of the more melodic stuff the The Black Dahlia Murder at times. After listening to the whole thing, the songs have such a groove to them that you can't get out of your head. If someone stole it, they'd probably end up banging their head through a window or something so I'd grab while their unconscious and leave a Miley Cyrus album in its place, in hopes that they will never commit such a heinous crime again.

58 comments sorted by best / new / date

    EpiExplorer
    Well despite the review being worthless, the album aint half bad :B Although where you've got the idea they sound like Whitechapel from is beyond me, the stars in the sky and way past the crab nebula.
    Nergal22691
    Disturbed_EMG wrote: This band are awful. All I've got to say.
    Says the person who listens to Disturbed.
    TheTrooper424
    Hey guys guess what. Disturbed and Dying Fetus are both amazing band...there...I said it.
    Nergal22691
    celticstorm84 wrote: so...if I listen to Dying Fetus AND Disturbed, does that make me a horrible person? Only if you listen to Disturbed intentionally.
    MikeShawMe
    This band is amazing live. It's actually only 3 guys now, and the bassist and guitarist do insane vocals while playing insane riffs. They're one of the real death metal bands out there. They do breakdowns, but they don't overuse/abuse them like core bands, and they've also been around for like 2 decades. Basically, this cd just owns. The drummer is amazing too. Just watch the two new videos they've made on youtube...
    diefordethklok
    Disturbed_EMG wrote: This band are awful. All I've got to say.
    All your bands are belong to us.
    diefordethklok
    taylorhindman wrote: Dying Fetus>Whitechapel>Shit>Disturbed
    When I saw that, I remembered how my elementary teachers would talk about the smaller number wanting to eat the bigger one, and the signs resembling mouths. And then I imagined disturbed literally gobbing on shit.
    BloodRedSkies
    totally turned off by the Whitechapel comparison... lucky the comment section was here to save it!
    millarso
    Disturbed may not be ridiculously talented, but they're not awful. I find their stuff pretty catchy sometimes. I can't get into these guys though. They have talent sure, but this is just another jam-as-many-notes-in-as-you-can band to me. Overuse of blastbeats and nothing stand-out or memorable to me. Sorry, just being honest.
    Disturbed_EMG
    Nergal22691 wrote: Disturbed_EMG wrote: This band are awful. All I've got to say. Says the person who listens to Disturbed.
    So I'm supposed to make a new account because I don't listen a band anymore? I haven't listened to Disturbed in ages.
    shredtildeath
    Disturbed_EMG wrote: Nergal22691 wrote: Disturbed_EMG wrote: This band are awful. All I've got to say. Says the person who listens to Disturbed. So I'm supposed to make a new account because I don't listen a band anymore? I haven't listened to Disturbed in ages.
    No one who has actual metal taste and likes death metal would say that the Fetus sucks.
    shredtildeath
    diefordethklok wrote: taylorhindman wrote: Dying Fetus>Whitechapel>Shit>Disturbed When I saw that, I remembered how my elementary teachers would talk about the smaller number wanting to eat the bigger one, and the signs resembling mouths. And then I imagined disturbed literally gobbing on shit.
    lol of the day for me. And now that I just noticed your username, I can only conclude that you sir are an awesome human being.
    Disturbed_EMG
    shredtildeath wrote: Disturbed_EMG wrote: Nergal22691 wrote: Disturbed_EMG wrote: This band are awful. All I've got to say. Says the person who listens to Disturbed. So I'm supposed to make a new account because I don't listen a band anymore? I haven't listened to Disturbed in ages. No one who has actual metal taste and likes death metal would say that the Fetus sucks.
    But I just did?
    Nergal22691
    Disturbed_EMG wrote: shredtildeath wrote: Disturbed_EMG wrote: Nergal22691 wrote: Disturbed_EMG wrote: This band are awful. All I've got to say. Says the person who listens to Disturbed. So I'm supposed to make a new account because I don't listen a band anymore? I haven't listened to Disturbed in ages. No one who has actual metal taste and likes death metal would say that the Fetus sucks. But I just did?
    Thus you are wrong, obviously you do not actually listen to death metal and that is ok, however you have brought the plague that is Disturbed into this discussion and therefore are wrong again.
    millarso
    Holy crap guys, just leave him alone, he explained his name issue, and he never brought Disturbed into the conversation. You might as well return to your normal hobby of kicking sand on little kids at the park.
    wandering_taco
    Why did he even comment in the first place if he doesn't like death metal? I'm sure he knew exactly what would happen.
    kamjam7
    I don't think there is anybody on this site that can dis any band with even a slightly recognizable label, because the fact that their signed, and your not, clearly proves they must not suck. good band good cd. someone else needs to review.
    Survivalism
    Disturbed_EMG wrote: Nergal22691 wrote: Disturbed_EMG wrote: This band are awful. All I've got to say. Says the person who listens to Disturbed. So I'm supposed to make a new account because I don't listen a band anymore? I haven't listened to Disturbed in ages.
    No, but you should make one if you don't want people to know you listen to shit music.
    millarso
    kamjam7 wrote: I don't think there is anybody on this site that can dis any band with even a slightly recognizable label, because the fact that their signed, and your not, clearly proves they must not suck. good band good cd. someone else needs to review.
    Just because someone is signed to a label doesn't make them talented... it means they are marketable. Honestly, there are probably thousands of unsigned talents who are better than a lot of signed ones... and I would bet money that you have said that a band sucks at some point in your life
    Sgt.Baker420
    Disturbed is better then Dying Fetus, IMO, and I listen to lots of death metal. Honestly, Fetus is just a run of the mill death metal band, they are good but nothing to really write home about. This attitude metal heads have that "nu-metal" (which is NOT even a real genre) is automatically terrible is so close minded and ridiculous, there are tons of talented nu-metal bands. "metal heads" have the worst tasts in music ever, and I listen to lots of metal. I also branch out, you should try it, don't always need blastbeats you know. Metal all the time is really boring.
    Tag43
    Survivalism wrote: Disturbed_EMG wrote: Nergal22691 wrote: Disturbed_EMG wrote: This band are awful. All I've got to say. Says the person who listens to Disturbed. So I'm supposed to make a new account because I don't listen a band anymore? I haven't listened to Disturbed in ages. No, but you should make one if you don't want people to know you listen to shit music.
    He doesn't listen to Disturbed anymore. He stated that earlier.
    G-Sage
    This review makes me wish there was a template you had to follow when writing lol, and that's saying a lot. What you know about metal?
    Cafas
    I love death metal, but I'd rather listen to Deftones or System of a Down than shit like Dying Fetus. Gorguts they ain't. I consider them and Necrophagist parodies of the genuine article. Yes, the fundamental aesthetics of death metal are dark, heavy, and crushing, but if you're going to be stupidly brutal in this day and age, at least be good.
    EpiExplorer
    power of death metal like Whitechapel
    Phail. Its a disappointing review, to be honest. All you've said how awesome it is and how much it sounds like Whitechapel. I'm not gonna listen to it now, thanks a lot -.-
    King ofKumbucha
    My head hurts reading this page. Dying Fetus came back hard with this album. Best thing they've done since Destroy The Opposition for sure.
    ThatWouldBeJon
    robbiekmetal wrote: Nergal22691 wrote: Disturbed_EMG wrote: This band are awful. All I've got to say. Says the person who listens to Disturbed. Haha thats what i was going to say.
    Disturbed is a noob metal band that was only good 2001 before the majority of people discovered real metal atcs
    Zaqtan
    Whitechapel is deathcore. Dying Fetus is Brutal Death/grindcore and maybe you should check out their earlier stuff like Destroy the Opposition. It is the best Dying Fetus ever made. And then claim again they sound like Whitechapel
    Nergal22691
    Awesome band. Lame review, but it is quite a good album. (Doesn't sound like Whitechapel)
    robbiekmetal
    Nergal22691 wrote: Disturbed_EMG wrote: This band are awful. All I've got to say. Says the person who listens to Disturbed.
    Haha thats what i was going to say.
    Pingis_Or_Death
    Disturbed_EMG wrote: This band are awful. All I've got to say.
    Really now, if that's all you've got to say, what's the point in commenting? You're just flaming the comment section; PROTIP: nobody gives a ****. I think Disturbed sucks, it's not like I'm flaming their comment section just because of that. Asswipe. Seriously though, this album is one of the best DF releases, if not THE best DF album of all time! The songs are just perfect and the production is really top notch - the guitar tone is tight like a (use your imagination on that one).
    thrashmonkey
    jesus christ, stop fighting, people. **** off about disturbed, too. They're not that bad.
    Peres.T.Peanut
    thrashmonkey wrote: jesus christ, stop fighting, people. **** off about disturbed, too. They're not that bad.
    oh yes they are...
    iH8CarAccidents
    Yes they are. And I can see how a noob would make a Whitechapel comparison with the low, gutteral vocals and copious amounts of double bass work. Dying Fetus rapes Whitechapel when it comes to actual talent though.
    xicetraex
    EpiExplorer wrote: power of death metal like Whitechapel Phail. Its a disappointing review, to be honest. All you've said how awesome it is and how much it sounds like Whitechapel. I'm not gonna listen to it now, thanks a lot -.-
    Same here. I hate Whitechapel with a passion. I can't stand deathcore.
    EpiExplorer
    IIVV wrote: A theives head through a window? Miley Cyrus? Deathcore comparison? And WTF is "a good mix of the power of death metal"? Somebody needs to do a review of Descend Into Depravity for us...
    I might as well. Lawls.
    bjesovi
    Dyin' fetus sucks! Their name sucks itself! xD Everybody, listen to the BJESOVI (The Possessed)
    huevos
    Nergal22691 wrote: Disturbed_EMG wrote: This band are awful. All I've got to say. Says the person who listens to Disturbed.
    Normally I'd say that it's all up to personal taste, but Disturbed are just one of those bands that are objectively known to be lower than fecal...
    taylorhindman wrote: Dying Fetus>Whitechapel>Shit>Disturbed
    Nuff said.