Descend Into Depravity review by Dying Fetus

• Released: Sep 15, 2009
Dying Fetus: Descend Into Depravity

I am a huge fan of death metal, and after seeing these guys live, I was eager to pick up this new album. I was not disappointed. The work that's gone into making this album is phenomenal - the sheer technicality of their work here blew me away. John Gallagher handles all of the guitar work excellently - the short solo at the end of 'Ethos of Coercion' was truly sweet - and shows how much of a talented musician he is. Sean Beasley really wowed me on bass - his sweeping and the speed that he can play at is amazing. This is the debut for new drummer Trey Williams, who I have to say is my favourite DF drummer out of all that they've had - his speed and techniques just add to the awesomeness of this album. Dying Fetus really have their own sound - I don't think I could say another band that sound like them; maybe Necrophagist whom also incorporate killer riffs with wild technicality, but the sound on Descend into Depravity is excellent.

Although difficult to understand for many, if you really look at what these guys are singing, you'll discover that their lyrics are actually incredible; an example is from the song 'Ethos of Coercion' - "Subordinates implement, all warranted bidding Requisitions honored, securing selfish esteem Skepticism marred, fear of condemnation Persecuting the chosen, for the lack of adherence" Now you won't hear something like that from Miley Cyrus or Justin Bieber, etc.

I love every song on this album, but some of my favourites are 'Shepherd's Commandment', 'Your Treachery Will Die with You' and the title track 'Descend into Depravity'. This has to go down as one of my favourite death metal albums ever and I cannot wait for their next release. The only criticism that I could make would be the length - at just over 32 minutes, it's a little short, but certainly sweet. Although I enjoyed many of their past releases like 'War of Attrition' and 'Destroy the Opposition', I'd say that this is my favourite Dying Fetus album by far.