Descend Into Depravity review by Dying Fetus

• Released: Sep 15, 2009
Dying Fetus: Descend Into Depravity

Dying Fetus kicks ass, and this CD is another proof of it. I've noticed this CD when I saw the video to "Shepherd's commandment" on YT. My first impression after watching this video was "wow". I've watched it many times, and I couldn't get enough of this. I didn't notice any innovations thought, but one question - do they really need it? It's death metal at its best.

Usually, I don't care about lyrics. But I like the lyrics that Dying Fetus writes. Most of their lyrics are about politics. They go very well with the riffs. Well, even with the lyrics displayed before me, I can't understand Sean's (bassist) parts (laughs). Not like I care. I love the combination of John's extremely low gutterals and Sean's middle growls. They go extremely well with each other.

Descend into depravity definitely goes with the whole Dying Fetus' discography. In my opinion, it doesn't beat War Of Attrition or Stop At Nothing. The best songs (in my opinion) are Your Treachery Will Die With You (nice title btw), Shepherd's Commandment, Atrocious By Nature and Ethos Of Coercion. The last song is a great choice for the ending of the album. I've listened to it almost constantly, and I never got enough of it, maybe because of the brutal ending, that left me astonished. The only thing that could get better was guitar and bass tone. I'm a fan of tones like Cannibal Corpse - Kill, Hate Eternal - The Perilous Fight, Decapitated - Organic Hallucinosis, You get the point. For the bass - it's muted way too much, there's great bass shredding out there, and I barely hear it. Anyway I love this album, and I would buy it again when I would lose it.

MikeShawMe
    Sgt.Baker420 wrote: Disturbed is better then Dying Fetus, IMO, and I listen to lots of death metal. Honestly, Fetus is just a run of the mill death metal band, they are good but nothing to really write home about. This attitude metal heads have that "nu-metal" (which is NOT even a real genre) is automatically terrible is so close minded and ridiculous, there are tons of talented nu-metal bands. "metal heads" have the worst tasts in music ever, and I listen to lots of metal. I also branch out, you should try it, don't always need blastbeats you know. Metal all the time is really boring.
    Dying Fetus is awesome man... And I don't know any metal heads at all in my area.. But i'm sure there are tons of people who just like death metal all the time. I think Dying Fetus is great, but I agree with you on the listening to other stuff part.. You can't say that metalheads have horrible taste in music.. that's a huge generalization. I listen to tons of different stuff. To be honest, I didn't like blast beats at all at first until I tried them on my drum set.. and when I got into black metal I loved them even more.. Stuff just grows on me easily, I guess.. and If I like something i'm not gonna be like, "OH THAT'S GAY!! IT'S NOT METAL!" even if I secretly do like it. That's "school yard talk!" (To quote Jon Lajoie, lol)