Hell Freezes Over review by Eagles

• Released: Nov 8, 1994
  • Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
Eagles: Hell Freezes Over

The Eagles have made numerous sounds, with a country sound heard in "Lyin' Eyes", and a more mysterious sound with "Hotel California". The Eagles had a messy break-up, and in an interview with Don Henley, they asked if if the Eagles will ever get back together, and Henley said, "When Hell Freezes Over". And when the Eagles did get back together, it's obvious why they named the album, "Hell Freezes Over". Overall though, this is a average live album with it's high moments.

The lyrics to the Eagles aren't Bob Dylan good, but are still good. However, there is far more to an album than lyrics. The album has its high moments with "Hotel California", one of the best ways to turn an electric song into an acoustic. Jackson Browne's composition of "Take It Easy" is also a good performance. I have one huge complaint about this album though; if Joe Walsh, with his remarkable solo career, is at a concert, he should be allowed at least 2 or 3 songs like he was on the Eagles farewell tour. Although they play their two biggest hits, "Hotel California" and "Take It Easy", they play numerous unpopular songs, and miss some classics like "One Of These Nights", "New Kid In Town" and "Lyin' Eyes". And although I like "Hotel California", I must admit that I like the electric more.

This album is an average live album, and Joe Walsh could have made this album far better. I feel that if the Eagles are going to play an unexpected concert, they should play more classics, and have shown Joe Walsh more respect and let him play songs like "A Life Of Illusion", "Life's Been Good" or "Rocky Mountain Way". The Eagles made this album somewhat of a disappointment, I don't recommend this album, however I do think that everyone should download a few tracks like "Hotel California". This album is really for huge Eagles fans, but for people like me, who love live albums more than studio albums, this is just average.

Cazz3000
    Reversed roles, amazing album, mediocre review. Songs from a brand new album are not going to be popular, the main idea of promoting and performing a new album is also to play the new tracks? Not just hits. For a "live album" fan that you claim to be it's a very poor review, go and study a bit more.