Hell Frezes Over [DVD] review by Eagles

• Content: 6
  • Production Quality: 9
  • Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Eagles: Hell Frezes Over [DVD]

The Eagles have made numerous sounds, with a country sound heard in "Lyin' Eyes", and a more mysterious sound with "Hotel California". The Eagles had a messy break-up, and in an interview with Don Henley, they asked if if the Eagles will ever get back together, and Henley said, "When Hell Freezes Over". And when the Eagles did get back together, it's obvious why they named the DVD, "Hell Freezes Over". Overall though, this is a average live DVD with it's high moments.

Content — 6
The DVD has its high moments with "Hotel California", one of the best ways to turn an electric song into an acoustic. Jackson Browne's composition of "Take It Easy" is also a good performance. I have one huge complaint about this DVD though; if Joe Walsh, with his remarkable solo career, is at a concert, he should be allowed at least 2 or 3 songs like he was on the Eagles farewell tour. Although they play their two biggest hits, "Hotel California" and "Take It Easy", they play numerous unpopular songs, and miss some classics like "One Of These Nights", "New Kid In Town" and "Lyin' Eyes". And although I like "Hotel California", I must admit that I like the electric more.

Production Quality — 9
The quality is pretty good, especially for a classic rock band since this concert was in the '90s. No added effects in this.

This DVD is an average live album, and Joe Walsh could have made this DVD far better. I feel that if the Eagles are going to play an unexpected concert, they should play more classics, and have shown Joe Walsh more respect and let him play songs like "A Life Of Illusion", "Life's Been Good" or "Rocky Mountain Way". The Eagles made this DVD somewhat of a disappointment, I don't recommend this album, however I do think that everyone should download a few tracks like "Hotel California". This DVD is really for huge Eagles fans, but for people like me, who love live albums more than studio albums, this is just average.

GWiZ
    The CD only contains In The City and Pretty Maids all in a row by Joe Walsh (as part of the Eagles), but the DVD does include Help Me Through The Night. I think that Hell Freezes Over was more about "The Eagles" than anything, because it brought them back together. The Farewell Tour is more goofing off, and that's why there are so many solo songs on that. I, for one, like the acustic version of Hotel California better than the Electric, but I think that's because I heard that one first.
    Mr Montana
    I personally thought this was fantastic, loved the almost constant use of acoustic guitars. All the originals playing together just sounded fantastic, the people who got to see this performance were incredibly lucky.