Long Road Out Of Eden review by Eagles

• Released: Oct 30, 2007
Eagles: Long Road Out Of Eden

America's greatest country-rock band is back. Better than ever? That depends entirely on who you ask. Yes, they still have that country-bluesy feeling, but it's been modified some how over the years. The first CD in the two CD set opens up with an acappella played with a mandolin called "No More Walks in the Woods", which is much like their popular song from the good ole days, "Seven Bridges Road". Then there is "How Long", "Too Busy Being Fabulous", "What Do I Do With My Heart" and "Guilty of the Crime"; they definitely are very Eagle-ish and worth listening to. I didn't really care much for the other songs on CD 1. They just couldn't stand up to the original works of the 70's and 80's. However the title track (which is on Disk 2) is the best song on the the two and the longest. Like many people have said before, "Long Road Out Of Eden" is "Hotel California" 2.0 with a solo that lasts a little less than a minute. There is also the up-beat song about paranoia, "Somebody", which includes a rather nice guitar riff. Many of the songs on this 2-disk, 20 track seem to be derived from their past hits. "How Long"= "Take it Easy". This CD is the first new studio album they had since the 70's, but was it worth waiting for?

Ah, the voice of Don Henley, the angel from Gilmer, Texas. His rough voice is one of the most recognized in rock history. He sang many of the Eagles greatest hits ("Hotel California", "One of These Nights", and "Life in the Fast Lane") and had several hits as a solo artist ("Boys of Summer", "End of Innocence", and "Dirty Laundry"). On this album, however, he shares the vocals with the three other guys. The lyrics are decent, althought Glenn and Don seem to have lost that special touch they had back when they were doing their previous studio album. Best Lyrics: "Weaving down the American highway Through the litter and the wreckage, and the cultural junk Bloated with entitlement, bloated on propaganda Now we're driving dazed and drunk" - "Long Road Out of Eden"

Well, the Eagles seem to have lost it over the years. The album is, in its own right, good, but coming from the Eagles, it could be better. Joe Walsh has still got the skills on the other hand. The slide guitar just won't leave the Eagles, it seems. Thank goodness, too, for that is what give the foursome their signature sound. Impressive things about the CD are, of course, the solo from "Long Road Out of Eden" and the singing of "I Don't Want to Hear Anymore" which seems like "I Can't Tell You Why". Bad things are the fact that the Eagles just can't seem to recapture the old rock-country glory.

Acousticman1992
    this album was great(atleast the first disc was, i for some reason have not listened to the second disc...) i agree that How Long and Take It Easy are similiar, they even put a riff from Take it Easy into How Long.
    SmittyMan90
    Of course it can never live up to their past releases, but it was a good album musically. Too bad Felder is no longer with them, I seen them live last year and would have really enjoyed seeing him with them.