The Very Best Of The Eagles review by Eagles

• Released: Jan 1, 1985
Eagles: The Very Best Of The Eagles

I only listened to this album for "Hotel California" to be honest, but one day I left it playing and it sutnned me. I always considered the Eagles to be just country music. Oh how wrong I was. This is one of the best greatest hits albums I know, I can't stop listening to it. There is such a range in the sound, some hard rock in tracks such as "Life In The Fast Lane" and "James Dean" is matched by the layed back and timeless sounds of "Desperado" and "New Kid In Town". Joe Walsh provides some fantastic guitar work on these tracks with all the musicians in perfect syncronicity to produce that kind of sound that leaves you smiling. However, the softer tracks do outweigh the heavier ones, and there's only so much you can take of "Doolin Dalton".

These are the types of lyrics I love. Story telling at its best. Hotel California, need I say more. The words flow perfectly with the music and keep with the tone of the music fantastically. There's some great vocal harmonies on tracks such as "New Kid In Town" and the sensational vocal breakdown of "Witchy Woman". Some top notch stuff in my opinion.

All the favourite's are on this album, and provide a good starting point for guitaristsjust to jam along with some pentatonics. The tracks do merge together seemingly bercause they all seem to be the same in a sense, "Take It Easy" Peaceful Easy Feeling", well you get the idea. But there's some definite good tracks on this record, I've already mentioned my favourites. Overall it's a good album that showcases musicians at the peak of their talent, a good investment in my opinion.

Godbe
    I've cahnged my mind on Doolin Dalton, that's one of the best songs on the album. An on reading this back, I've realised just how poor my spelling is...
    Cazz3000
    Agreed, not a very professional review, but don't kiss a songs arse just because you slated it at an earlier date.
    apples&oranges
    the only song i dont get into as much is 'James Dean'. its still good, ive heard better, for example 'Is It True' from On The Border.