Death By Sexy review by Eagles of Death Metal

• Released: Apr 11, 2006
Eagles of Death Metal: Death By Sexy

This time out, Josh Homme's Eagles Of Death Metal expand upon their distinctive raunchy, rockabilly sound, only now with more developed songs. It certainly isn't a huge departure from the last album, but that isn't a bad thing; Peace Love Death Metal was one of my favorite CD's of 2004. Also, the incredible Homme provides the bass on this album, something that wasn't often featured in their debut. The Eagles definately avoid the sophmore slump with their brilliantly titles "Death By Sexy."

Not unlike in their debut, singer Jesse Hughes sings in his falsetto for most of the album, and it sounds great. Most of the lyrics once again deal with women, money, and the devil, which contributes to their wonderfully sleazy image. This combined with the frantic, fuzzy guitars and plain old Rock and Roll drumbeats makes for perfect music to play at a party (or a strip club, for that matter). Hughes' voice suits the music just fine, though the incessantly raunchy lyrics do begin to get exhausting after a while.

It is a tough call between this album and "Peace Love Death Metal," but these songs are slightly more advanced and structured (though they do manage to keep their sloppy charm throughout the CD), so I would have to say that "Death By Sexy" wins narrowly. The upbeat party jams of "Cherry Cola," "I Gotta Feelin'," "Solid Gold" and "I Want You So Hard" prove to be the standout tracks on this effort, though all the songs provide a fun, easy listen. I love the upbeat, classic rock and roll sound, but the short length and sometimes too sloppy guitar solos sometimes take away from this album's quality. Nevertheless, this is an original, excellent album, and there is something in it for everyone.

d_kRAMMER
    hah didnt know that Goon, I've heard something about them just randomly requesting to be announced as Eagles of Death Metal just to annoy some Metal fans there, but I have to admit it was a tad rough.
    Billeh
    smb
    Billeh wrote: I heard thet got the name when they were actually with a death metal fan, and at one stage one of em said something along the lines of "Dude, thats not death metal, thats like the EAGLES of death metal"
    That's how Josh and Jesse took the piss out of the Poison fan insisting they were death metal - telling him Poison were the Eagles of death metal. There are some truly stupid metallers posting here... but they couldn't play as good as these guys even if their knuckles weren't scraping along the ground as they walk
    ianl
    I haven't seen it in the shops yet, but i bought it on the internet. (hmv.co.uk) it was quite cheap!