Zipper Down review by Eagles of Death Metal

• Released: Oct 2, 2015
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Eagles of Death Metal: Zipper Down

Maybe I love this album because it was the bands first in seven years. Maybe because it was released on October 2nd which is my birthday making it feel as though it was a special gift to me. Either way I was just excited to hear the album. The fact that Jesse Hughes and Josh Homme look like they could be cast as murders in any Cohen brothers movie yet have high pitched harmonies of rock and roll choir boys is impressive enough. With a rock star meets garage band with potential sound it is a great mix of precision and dirt. This album only further proves Josh Homme doesn't plan on slowing down anytime soon which I couldn't be happier about.

If you're looking for poetry accompanied by music this might not be the album for you. This is a feel good rock album nothing more nothing less. Lyrically don't look for the second coming of John Lennon. This is great music for any kegger (no frat boys please) These guys have been at this for a while and with seven years in the making they had no problem syncing up their singing styles with their intentionally messy rock and roll sound. These guys know what they were going for and I don't think they would ever claim to be some kind of inspirational voice. They stayed true to themselves and their fans and released a rock and roll album while still taking some risks. Not a lyrical masterpiece.

My favorite song on this album would have to be complexity it's the first song on the album which really sets the tone when it comes to what you're in for. I love that these guys are known for being rock and roll but were not afraid to experiment with other styles a bit more out of their wheel house. The two aging musicians are not getting set in their ways which is a huge relief considering how often this happens. I look forward to seeing what the band's next move is. I may love this album because I see less and less quality rock bands year after year or I may love it because Josh Homme can do no wrong in my opinion. P.S. I totally want to sleep with his wife. Overall it was a great listen I would recommend this album to any rock and roll music fan.

godhelpus
    I liked it. Easily my least favourite of all their albums but still great. No bullshit rock music.