Hibernaculum review by Earth

Earth: Hibernaculum

After long nine year out of the public eye, Dylan Carlson brought his band Earth back to life with the album "Hex; Or Printing in the Infernal Method". It was a departure from the earlier heavy drone material replaced with clean guitars and piano playing. "Hibernaculum" is in the same vein.

Well there are no lyrics to speak of. Earth is a instrumental band. A few of the songs are older songs remade with the new Earth sound. 1. Ouroboros Is Broken: Taken from the album "Extra-Capsular Extraction" it basically the same song only done with clean guitars. With the tribal beats and guitars it sounds like it could be in a soundtrack for a biopic about Native Americans. The kind that scalp people. 2. Coda Maestoso in F(Flat)Minor: Taken from the album "Pentastar: In the Style of Demons". It a long, beautiful, haunting but at the same time uplifting song. I think sometimes artists can get their point across without words but evoking an emotion in their own style. Carlson seems to show sadness in this songs but in the end showing there is always hope. At least that is what I get out of this one. 3. Miami Morning Coming Down: Absolutely beautiful. To someone who has never heard of Earth, this would be one of the first songs I would play them. Masterpiece. 4. "Plague of Angels": To me, it sounds like a song that was left off of "Hex". It kinda drags a bit but it fits the album perfectly.

This album compares greatly with the "Hex" album. Like I wrote earlier, it is the new Earth sound. To me the best songs are "Coda Maestoso In F (Flat) Minor" and "Miami Morning Coming Down". I really love this album. It is the first one I bought so it introduced me to what Dylan Carlson is all about. I bet it is a real treat to see them live. If it were stolen I would be lost until the new one came in the mail.

swave75
    Maybe you oughta read it again.
    EpiExplorer
    gRiLeD cHiKen
    Yep I agree with EpiExplorer. It's exactly what I was thinking. The review isn't much of a review, really. I know you described the songs a little, but it doesn't tell me much
    swave75
    EpiExplorer wrote: swave75 wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: As good as Earth is, this review didn't tell me shit about the album. Maybe you oughta read it again. I did, it didn't say anything. It was quite literally 'this is nice, I love it'. Thats not so much a review, more of a blog. You didn't even mention what the music was like, only 'its very nice'.
    That is what a review is...an opinion. I could write a long review like you do that bores people or I could keep it short and sweet.
    CapnKickass
    Tt told me: clean guitars, piano playing. Scalping music, haunting/uplifting, masterpiece, drags on. Compares to Hex and is new Earth styles. Works for me man.
    TwistClock
    I feel like i should make a review because although i love this album and 'Ouroboros Is Broken' is ****ing great, it surely isn't worthy of that score. Like, you couldn't compare it to Bees, or Hex:, or even Angels of darkness, demons of light. I would give this one a 7-8 when up against the whole Earth Discography.
    swave75
    I loved "Hex". I would give it a 10 for everything. I don't own "Angels..." yet. But "Hibernaculum" was the first Earth cd I bought and it sold me to what they were doing.
    swave75
    I didn't know that writing a review for Earth would get such a response. Good or bad comments aside, it's nice to know that there are people who love this band. But when I went to see if there were any reviews for Earth, there wasn't any.
    Anthony1991
    So you want him to describe a song? Wow, that's real logic that is >.< There is no substitute for actually listening to it, all he can actually do is give his opinion on it and hint at what it might sound like.
    Iommianity
    Not commenting on the quality of this review, but I absolutely hate reviews that drag on with unnecessary bullshit. I don't care about the context in which you listened to it, I don't care about how the album or band changed your life or musical perspective, and I don't care to read a paragraph summarizing each song. Get to the point and tell people if you like the album or not, how it holds up to previous works, and whether or not you'd recommend it to fans or newcomers.