Worlds Review

artist: Ebu Gogo date: 03/17/2008 category: compact discs
Ebu Gogo: Worlds
Release Date: 2008
Genres: Rock
Elaborating on the musical concepts of their debut, this time with a slightly bigger budget, and a few more stylistic colors, Ebu Gogo reaches new and exciting heights on their sophomore full-length "Worlds."
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Worlds Reviewed by: alex_hnatiuk, on march 17, 2008

Sound: One of the most compelling and enjoyable qualities of the classic video games was the music that accompanied the levels. From ripping lead solos in Megaman, to the melodic texturing of Sonic, to the doom and metal of Doom, the music sets the mood and fully immerses the player into the digital world. Enter Ebu Gogo. The album title says it all, really; this 3-piece from Rhode Island have crafted an immaculate homage to the video games that have clearly influenced them through the concept of Worlds as songs. The album starts with a building tribal beast, on some godless island with a rainbow synth volcano showering down ash and taffy. The mood abruptly changes, conjuring up images of the caped crusader kicking some gotham-crime ass. All of this within the first three minutes of the record. The real highlights of this album for me are the four Waterworlds, and a perfectly crafted song by the name of "Late due to sweatpants boner (alarm malfunction, slow motion love interest, mean principal, etc)". Truth be told, I'm incapable of listening to anything but the entire album at a time, so the point is moot. It's a shame that the songs are all so short (generally under 3 minutes long a piece), but with 20.7 songs on the album, it balances itself out, and keeps things moving along. // 9

Lyrics: The real highlights of this album for me are the four Waterworlds, and a perfectly crafted song by the name of "Late due to sweatpants boner (alarm malfunction, slow motion love interest, mean principal, etc)". Truth be told, I'm incapable of listening to anything but the entire album at a time, so the point is moot. It's a shame that the songs are all so short (generally under 3 minutes long a piece), but with 20.7 songs on the album, it balances itself out, and keeps things moving along. Paints a pretty clear picture of a story. After you've taken the proper drugs. // 9

Overall Impression: The only comparisons I can offer that seem appropriate are the songs of my childhood; Aquatic Ruins in Sonic 2 (among many other fantastic level-songs), the intro to Chuck Rock, the music of Chrono Trigger, Hangar 1 of Doom, Super Metroid, etcetera. Ebu Gogo have done something very extraordinary with Worlds; they've taken video gaming and made it audio gaming, and I sincerely hope to hear more in this fashion. Plug in and have a game guide nearby, you may need the extra lives. // 9

Comments