Crimson Review

Edge of Sanity: Crimson
Release Date: Apr 1996
Label: Black Mark
Genres: Death Metal/Black Metal, Heavy Metal, Scandinavian Metal
Crimson is really a single 40-minute song/concept record that is perhaps one of the most interesting achievements in death metal.
 9.8
 9.6
review (1) 4 comments vote for this album:
Crimson Reviewed by: Sn^ke, on april 10, 2006

Sound: The sound and production quality is in one word, incredible. Incredible? Yes. That might be an understatement though. Really the only way for you to know how good it is, is to experience it for yourself. Dan Swano did a great job of putting this one together. All the musicians are playing at top notch here. No bs here. Although I'm not sure how you can bs on an album. Ask ashlee simpson. I'll give this a ten for sure. // 10

Lyrics: Basically this album consists of one track, forty amazing minutes long. The lyrical content is storytelling. Something about a final generation of people, almost died out because of infertility, some evil queen comes a long, stuff happens, go listen yourself. For a length of forty minutes a story is all you could tell really. You couldn't sing about how life sucks or about mutilating an aborted foetus. A story is the only appropriate theme. The vocalists are also insaaaaane! Swano never misses a note, and don't be driving during Mikaels softer melodies. Fatigue can kill. // 10

Overall Impression: The only other artists I've heard even slightly similar to Edge of Sanity is Opeth's earlier works. That's Orchid and some of MAYH. And I must say I prefer Crimson over a lot of 'peth. "What are most impressive songs from the album?" Ummm, probably Crimson. If this album were stolen or lost I'd be pretty pissed. It's hard to find in stores (the ones I've been in anyway), but it is just a CD. It wouldn't be the end of the world. I'd find it again. // 10

Comments