Hellfire Club review by Edguy

• Released: Apr 6, 2004
Edguy: Hellfire Club

From the opener, "Mysteria" to the album closer "Spirit Will Remain" the sound on this album is fantastic. It is extremely well produced. The half-step-downtuned guitars (standard power metal fashion) add so much to the music without being lame like nu-metal down tunings. The only bone I have to pick is the fact that that sound can get repetitive after a while. With power metal bands like Blind Guardian you hear them tackle the power metal tuning but they sometimes bring it up to normal tuning in the guitars and bass. That's something I'd like to see Edguy do more of on their next record as only 2 songs out of 12 range out of "power-tuning." Still an extremely solid sounding album; 4 stars.

Tobias Sammet is an amazing lyricist, very reminiscent of Bruce Dickinson in his glory days with Iron Maiden. He wrote most of the songs on the album. There is great variety in the song topics, and as the topics change so do the lyrics and gloriously so. Top notch. 5 stars.

This was the very first power metal album I ever bought (unless you count Iron Maiden as power metal, which I don't - they're straight up Heavy Metal) and it has definitely opened up some doors for me as far as power metal goes. The best song is easily 'The Piper Never Dies,' a 10 minute long epic. I really like how the lyrics and the music go together. I don't like how it can get a bit repetitive sounding, but that is just a small problem and the lyrics more than make up for it. I give it 4 stars because it's a great album but just not one of those 5 star classics.