Tinnitus Sanctus review by Edguy

• Released: Jan 26, 2009
Edguy: Tinnitus Sanctus

I had never been a huge fan of Edguys, mostly just passing them off as funny guys come power metallers, but saying that isn't doing them justice. I recently became a big fan of Tobias Sammets other band Avantasia and rediscovered Edguy in the process, and what I found was a band who plays power metal at it's highest quality; excellent musicianship, top-notch songwriting and very entertaining. Never taking themslves too seriously with a tongue in cheak attitude, and their latest album, Tinnitus Sanctus is no disapointment. A wonderful album from start to finish, Tinnitus Sanctus has got to stand out as a career highlight for Edguy. The sound quality itself is of the highest standard, with producing duties going to the legendary Sascha Paeth, you knew this album was going to sound great right from the bat. The songs themselves are very strong, amound Edguys best, they are quality and hold your attention from start to finish, with only one or two possible 'filler' tracks. Album opener 'Ministry of Saints' is classic Edguy with a soaring chorus and great riffing, although with a much heavier feel to it this time around, which continues throughout the album. The next song 'Sex Fire Religion' is a very interesting song, with a Manowar-ish bassline driving the verses, however the highlight has got to be the pre-chorus and chorus where Tobias Sammet shows us what his voice can really do, and it is amazing to behold. Which continues on the next song, 'The Pride of Creation'. You will begin to see at this point that the intensity isn't letting up. If during the first song or two you were thinking that this sounds like Avantasia, by now you should be convinced that this is 100% Edguy. With epic choruses everywhere you look. Other Highlights on the album are 'Dragonfly', which takes off right from the beginning, and the albums biggest suprise, the epic 'Speedhoven'. The First time I heard this song I was blown away, it is an amazing song with many different breakdowns and fast sections which altogether create a wonderfully epic song. Metal enthusiasts may note the complete lack of double-bass on the drum side of things, and altogether this is much more of a Hard-Rock album than a Metal album, but it does take qualitys from each and it only turns out for the better.

Along with the soaring vocal lines, the lyrics could definitely be seen as a highlight of the album, intelligent and well thought out throughout, there is always a deeper meaning there if you wish to think about what is being said rather than just singing along. As intellent as the lyrics are, as always Edguy return with there tongue in cheak attitude with songs like 'Aren't you a little pervert too? '

Overall this is one of the best power metal albums you will hear all year if not this decade, a shinning example in a genre where originality is seriously lacking, not that this album is completely different from the power metal standard, but it mixes it up enough by encorperating hard rock elements with power metal elements and displaying them both at there best, and that is why this album is so good to hear. There is definitely something for everyone here and will definitely keep Edguy fans, power metal fans and hard rock fans happy. If you are thinking about getting this album you owe it to yourself to do it, although I would suggest the digipack version as it comes with a live CD which is the perfect compliment to the album. If this album were stolen I would definitely buy it again aswell as any other edguy albums I could find. These guys are one of the most impressive and underated bands in metal and this album is a shinning example of why.

Lohnanmilitia
    I agree with both reviews. hows that one! haha. No, At first, I wasn't such a huge fan of the entire album as a whole, I loved some stand out songs, but going back to it now. Holy Fuck!! The album is killer. The songwriting skill that Tobias Sammet has is unbelievably incredible. Album after album, song after song, his shit just gets better and better! Second reviewer pointed out his last Avantasia album Scarecrow. That has to be one of my favorite albums of all time. Its such a monster start to finish, plus I'm biased as Jorn Lande is my favorite singer. haha. Back to Tinnitus. I enjoyed Rocket Ride, but this album is back to true edguy form. Definately awesome!
    Lin
    there are plenty of new wave power metal bands out there. i think they're really good at the hair metal type thing. if it gets rock on the radio what's wrong with that?
    Tubyboulin
    The reviews are a bit confusing. They disagree on most of the points Ministry of Saints is the only one i've heard, and It was awesome.
    Melodic_Rocker
    I saw them when they were supporting Kamelot, lets just say Kamelot taught them what real music was. Plus the singer really knows how to overuse that vibrato :|