Tinnitus Sanctus Review

Edguy: Tinnitus Sanctus
Released: Jan 26, 2009
Genre: Metal, Hard Rock
Label: Nuclear Blast Records
German band gets further away from their power-metal roots on eighth album. The results are mixed but there are still some solid hooks to dig into.
 Lyrics: 8.7
 8.7
 8.2
 9.2
Tinnitus Sanctus Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 29, 2009

Sound: I had never been a huge fan of Edguys, mostly just passing them off as funny guys come power metallers, but saying that isn't doing them justice. I recently became a big fan of Tobias Sammets other band Avantasia and rediscovered Edguy in the process, and what I found was a band who plays power metal at it's highest quality; excellent musicianship, top-notch songwriting and very entertaining. Never taking themslves too seriously with a tongue in cheak attitude, and their latest album, Tinnitus Sanctus is no disapointment. A wonderful album from start to finish, Tinnitus Sanctus has got to stand out as a career highlight for Edguy. The sound quality itself is of the highest standard, with producing duties going to the legendary Sascha Paeth, you knew this album was going to sound great right from the bat. The songs themselves are very strong, amound Edguys best, they are quality and hold your attention from start to finish, with only one or two possible 'filler' tracks. Album opener 'Ministry of Saints' is classic Edguy with a soaring chorus and great riffing, although with a much heavier feel to it this time around, which continues throughout the album. The next song 'Sex Fire Religion' is a very interesting song, with a Manowar-ish bassline driving the verses, however the highlight has got to be the pre-chorus and chorus where Tobias Sammet shows us what his voice can really do, and it is amazing to behold. Which continues on the next song, 'The Pride of Creation'. You will begin to see at this point that the intensity isn't letting up. If during the first song or two you were thinking that this sounds like Avantasia, by now you should be convinced that this is 100% Edguy. With epic choruses everywhere you look. Other Highlights on the album are 'Dragonfly', which takes off right from the beginning, and the albums biggest suprise, the epic 'Speedhoven'. The First time I heard this song I was blown away, it is an amazing song with many different breakdowns and fast sections which altogether create a wonderfully epic song. Metal enthusiasts may note the complete lack of double-bass on the drum side of things, and altogether this is much more of a Hard-Rock album than a Metal album, but it does take qualitys from each and it only turns out for the better. // 9

Lyrics: Along with the soaring vocal lines, the lyrics could definitely be seen as a highlight of the album, intelligent and well thought out throughout, there is always a deeper meaning there if you wish to think about what is being said rather than just singing along. As intellent as the lyrics are, as always Edguy return with there tongue in cheak attitude with songs like 'Aren't you a little pervert too? ' // 9

Overall Impression: Overall this is one of the best power metal albums you will hear all year if not this decade, a shinning example in a genre where originality is seriously lacking, not that this album is completely different from the power metal standard, but it mixes it up enough by encorperating hard rock elements with power metal elements and displaying them both at there best, and that is why this album is so good to hear. There is definitely something for everyone here and will definitely keep Edguy fans, power metal fans and hard rock fans happy. If you are thinking about getting this album you owe it to yourself to do it, although I would suggest the digipack version as it comes with a live CD which is the perfect compliment to the album. If this album were stolen I would definitely buy it again aswell as any other edguy albums I could find. These guys are one of the most impressive and underated bands in metal and this album is a shinning example of why. // 9

Tinnitus Sanctus Reviewed by: Poglia, on january 30, 2009

Sound: With their latest album Tinnitus Sanctus, Edguy are following the road of Rocket Ride: more hard rock and less power metal. This album, however, is way more powerful and mature than the previous one... even a little bit darker. The work of the legendary producer Sascha Paeth is great as always: the sound is perfect. Guitars are great as alyays, and this time we can even hear some solos by the rhythm guitarist Dirk Sauer. Bass is simply amazing: forget the bass that follow the root note of the chords, or that you can't even hear... the work of the bassist Tobias Exxel is awesome in all songs. Drums are great too (the sound is similar to Rocket Ride) and keyboard is not used too much. // 9

Lyrics: Tinnitus Sanctus songs have great, typical Edguy lyrics: funny (The Pride Of Creation), sad (Thorn Without A Rose), serious (Ministry Of Saints) and metaphoric (Speedhoven). Tobias Sammet voice is amazing, he becomes better year after year. Forget the typical "high" power metal singing, now Tobias is a "darker" rock singer and he puts more emotions while singing (for example in the slow part of Speedhoven). // 10

Overall Impression: This is indeed the best Edguy album so far. Powerful, mature, with great lyrics, great riffs and great singing. All tracks are simply great and there are no bad songs. My least favorite is Sex Fire Religion, but it's still a nice rock song. The best tracks, in my opinion, are the epic Speedhoven, the strange Dragonfly and the ballad Thorn Without a Rose. I would immediately buy again the album if stolen or lost. // 9

Tinnitus Sanctus Reviewed by: UG Team, on january 29, 2009

Sound: Edguy's early material (Vain Glory Opera, Mandrake) had more in common with the power-metal strains of bands like Helloween and Blind Guardian than the hard-rock informed sound of their most recent efforts. This week sees the release of Tinnitus Sanctus which finds the German act honing in even more on their vocal and guitar hooks than ever before. Dirk Sauer's rhythm guitar work is simple and chunky in tone and he compliments Jens Ludwig's 80's flavored leads nicely. Tobias Sammet's has streamlined his songwriting even further than he did on their last release, Rocket Ride. The purists who cried out sell out last time have plenty to be angry about this time out as well. Songs like Dead Or Rock could have been lifted from a Ratt record and I'm not even half-kidding here folks! That said if you can get down with a little sleaze-n-roll, the riffs and big chorus delivers big. Where Tinnitus Sanctus falters are the plodding, mid-tempo songs. Dragonfly never gets off the ground and Sex Fire Religion misses the mark completely. The closing number, Aren't You A Little Pervert Too?! is just as bad as it's title suggests so no need to talk about that one either. // 6

Lyrics: Tobias Sammet's powerhouse vocal ability is definitely Edguy's strongest attribute and his turns in another world-class performance here. He showcases the more subtle, softer side of his voice on the power-ballad Thorn Without A Rose proving the band could have another European radio hit on their hands. He also holds back on during the verses of the anthemic 9-2-9 and then tears into the huge chorus with the might of vintage Klaus Meine (Scorpions). Another singer Sammet reminds us of is the great former Royal Hunt frontman John West with a lethal balance of soulful grit and metal bite in his style. One doesn't pick up an Edguy album for its lyrical weight and Tinnitus Sanctus is not going to change that perception. Lines like I been granted admission/angel in your temple of love, are the kind of lyrics that often give heavy metal a bad name. But with Sammet's veteran-like skill pushing them through, it's a bit easier to let the weakness of wordplay slide. // 7

Overall Impression: Even though Edguy is undoubtedly Sammet's ship, that doesn't mean Ludwig and Sauer don't turn in blistering performances. The six-stringers play off the vocal melodies never getting in the way of the gigantic hooks instead becoming part of them at times. There aren't many big solo spots on the album but whenever Ludwig takes one; his runs are fluid, tasteful, and always memorable. Producer Sascha Paeth (Rhapsody of Fire, Angra) bookends the songs in a mix that could use more bottom end. It's a shame because Tobias Exxel (bass) and Felix Bohnke (drums) are a rhythm section that can more than hold their own as evidenced in live footage posted on YouTube. We can't tell you how many times newer metal records suffer from a lack of a bass guitar presence on the releases we cover. What does it take for these producers and/or bands to recognize the importance of having bottom in the mix? All in all, Tinnitus Sanctus is a formidable release from this German quintet but we'd be lying if we didn't say we were hoping for a lot more from the obvious talent this band possesses. // 6

- Carlos Ramirez (c) 2009