The Back Room review by Editors

• Released: Aug 16, 2005
Editors: The Back Room

The Editors effects box has obviously got stuck on the same effect, thank goodness it's the one it is, the sound of the guitar is highly original and even quite haunting at times. The riffs of songs fit perfectly with the style of the song. Stand out track, Camera is a brilliant example of this, the chords and individual notes are very moving (as this genre comes at least). I would try and compare this sound but I just can't.

Probably the only downfall of the album, the singing is good and the lead vocalist has a very distinctive voice, possibly the bassiest I've heard. But the lyrics of some songs are just flawed. Munich (that still manages to be a good song) has unthoughtful, meaningless, repetitive words. However, songs like Lights have well written lyrics, its really a balance of good and bad.

For any fans of Franz Ferdinand, The Bravery or maybe even Athlete, The Back Room has to be heard. Stand out tracks include single, Blood, for catchyness and enjoyability, Lights for an amazing tune and Camera for sheer brilliance. This is a very good album but there aren't quite enough excellent songs to make it a classic.