Egypt Central review by Egypt Central

• Released: Jan 15, 2008
Egypt Central: Egypt Central

Egypt Central lets out a lot of frustration on it's self-titled debut album, with many of the songs recalling everything from being dropped by a major label to lost love. But for as much trouble as the band has gone through, Egypt Central is still a pretty straightforward rock group that doesn't get overly aggressive. There are hints of 3 Doors Down throughout the record, and it isn't until vocalist John T. Falls lets out throaty screams here and there that break that trend. When it comes down to it, Egypt Central is a band that will appeal to a large mass of people out there -- but that doesn't mean they are offering up a truly groundbreaking record the first time around. The 11 tracks on the CD definitely are fitting for any given top-40 hard rock radio station. This isn't a terrible thing, but at times the songs are a bit too familiar to stand out. The opening track Different starts out with a pretty basic intro riff that doesn't grab you at first, but the chorus is extremely catchy thanks to vocalist Falls' passionate delivery. Falls breaks out into a rap midway through the song, and although it does show off his versatility, it really doesn't fit that well into the song. Over And Under highlights some of the best aspects of the band, with an infectious, groove-oriented intro and a memorable guitar solo. This track is one of the most likeable on the album, and it doesn't hurt that there is plenty of solid musicianship to back it up. Guitarists Heath Hindman and Jeff James don't feel utilized enough in other songs, and Over And Under does give them an opportunity to stand in the spotlight. In fact, the guitar solo in Over And Under is one of the CD's shining moments. Walls Of Innocence strays from the Egypt Central's usual formula on the record, and it is another standout track because of it. There are some interesting dubbed, spoken vocals (as if from a radio broadcast or something to that effect) underneath the sections leading into the verse at times, while the guitar lines have some effective, unusual effects. It doesn't feel like a radio single necessarily, and that's probably one of the best aspects about Walls Of Innocence. While the general top-40 public might like most of the tracks on the record, it's simply refreshing to hear Egypt Central try out something a bit gutsier.

The ups and downs of the past few years are definitely evident in terms of the lyrics, and fans will be able to appreciate the honest, heartfelt approach. Songs like Leap Of Faith cover an inner emotional crisis, and the words will likely connect with more than a few listeners out there. Falls sings, Someone tell me so I can figure it out; Something's wrong nothing's right; My life is filled with doubt. They're not overly showy or drenched in metaphors, but that no-frills approach has more of a real, humanistic aspect that is also present in many of the other tracks.

Considering there are quite a few tracks on the debut CD that have radio appeal, there is no doubt that Egypt Central will find a solid fan base. There is not a lot of groundbreaking material on the record, but if you're more interested in honest lyrics and catchy melodies, then Egypt Central is the band for you. The one thing the band should take into consideration next time around, however, is giving the guitarists a bit more work to do. While there are glimpses of brilliance, the songwriting doesn't ever really allow Hindman and James to truly show what they're able to offer.

koolio427
    They are pretty good. I first heard them on Sirius satellite radio and they played them pretty heavily. Thats because they are a good band though too.
    AgentHappyDay
    i don't recognize the album cover, but i guess it's been re-released like twice, hasn't it? either way, i've heard "you make me sick," "over and under," and "taking you down." all of which are pretty darn good
    Roach2001
    Well its indeed a task to reinvent the wheel but I think this band has definitely put some shiny new spinners on it. Surely I believe these guys have a solid debut album and seem to finally be getting the recognition they deserve after over a 3 year struggle with Lava Records and then Beiler Bros. Its such amazement how this band has kept their head above water and the undeniable stage performance they continue to carry out while being choked in the political cross hairs of the recording industry. I think the vocal versatility in the song "Different" is just that. I think that song shows fans across the nation, and seas, the raw talent of being written and produced in the Memphis and the formula that the city brings. The more I listen to it the more it seems that "Walls of Innocence" presents more of a statement than an uprising. With war tearing our economy in half this songs looks at the bigger picture of war rather than just the conflicts within it. One thing is for certainly, anything that this band may or may not lack in musical skills they more than make up for it with their live performances. Joey Chicago and Heath Hindman are relentless entertainers that truly captivate and command audiences.
    xPANTERA10x
    i first heard these guys at ozzfest. i started to get into them, but they only got to play a 15 or 20 minute set
    Drewcifer 000
    I just listened to all their songs on their myspace. They are HORRIBLE! Bad wanna-be 90s rock. Just not good. They singer's voice is pretty terrible too. Not to mention how they look like some record company made a bunch of "bad boy" rock barbies. A good review though.
    corybott
    this band is just like a million other absolutely terrible hard rock bands. the only difference is they have twice the budget for eyeliner.
    kotton5150
    i live in the same place that egypt central is from & ive been listening 2 them 4 a good while now & its bout time that they got some attention & the roan egypt central is like 30 seconds from my house but yea theyre badass
    6Metal6Maniac6
    ROACH2001.....When you look at it in comparison, they spend 15 minutes in the local drug store buying "eyeliner" and spend 15 hours a day traveling from one city to the next. Its simple minded mentalities, like the above commentors, that are putting the music industry into a downfall it hasnt seen in decades. The record companies didnt pick these guys up to make another "boy band" these established professionals seen an image that was appealling to the actually album and ticket buyers, as opposed to those who would sit at home, illegally download music, then complain its not good enough. Im sorry theres not power chords and 5 minute lead solo's in each song. Anyone with a voice can scream but its takes more than an updated version of pro-tools to be able to be able to harmonize a voice. Josh Abraham is a record producer who hold the print on many platinum selling artists and many leading bands including Velvet Revolver , Staind , Limp Bizkit , Linkin Park , Courtney Love , Static-X , Deadsy , Orgy and so on so forth, but they didnt not over saturate the album by having more production on it then talent. Sure Heath Hindman can go into a 10 minute solo without thinking twice, but he doesnt because thats not the formula these guys write. Selling almost 4,000 units within the Jan. 2008 release of the album speak for itself. Their tour schedule is proof that fans and radio stations have spoken, these guys may not see their homes again til Christmas due to their "horrible boy band sound and image." If any of you are ever talented enough to have a major recording company employ you then you can speak, but the comment calling them pussy's and youve never even heard their music before, gimme a break, your more absent minded than any one person can be!..... ..... i think u r a little cut up with previous comments. i think u should write a novel on how u feel cuz that shit above is pretty damn close to one... do u perhaps have a relationship with 1 of the band members to get that upset? get over it, they r just another top 40 commercial band following the trend but with a hint of hmmmmm.....nothing. Yes i have heard their music.....
    6Metal6Maniac6
    ROACH2001.....When you look at it in comparison, they spend 15 minutes in the local drug store buying "eyeliner" and spend 15 hours a day traveling from one city to the next. Its simple minded mentalities, like the above commentors, that are putting the music industry into a downfall it hasnt seen in decades. The record companies didnt pick these guys up to make another "boy band" these established professionals seen an image that was appealling to the actually album and ticket buyers, as opposed to those who would sit at home, illegally download music, then complain its not good enough. Im sorry theres not power chords and 5 minute lead solo's in each song. Anyone with a voice can scream but its takes more than an updated version of pro-tools to be able to be able to harmonize a voice. Josh Abraham is a record producer who hold the print on many platinum selling artists and many leading bands including Velvet Revolver , Staind , Limp Bizkit , Linkin Park , Courtney Love , Static-X , Deadsy , Orgy and so on so forth, but they didnt not over saturate the album by having more production on it then talent. Sure Heath Hindman can go into a 10 minute solo without thinking twice, but he doesnt because thats not the formula these guys write. Selling almost 4,000 units within the Jan. 2008 release of the album speak for itself. Their tour schedule is proof that fans and radio stations have spoken, these guys may not see their homes again til Christmas due to their "horrible boy band sound and image." If any of you are ever talented enough to have a major recording company employ you then you can speak, but the comment calling them pussy's and youve never even heard their music before, gimme a break, your more absent minded than any one person can be!..... .....I think u r a little cut up with previous comments. i think u should write a novel on how u feel cuz that shit above is pretty damn close to one... do u perhaps have a relationship with 1 of the band members to get that upset? get over it, they r just another top 40 commercial band following the trend but with a hint of hmmmmm.....nothing. Yes i have heard their music.....
    SIKKCHIK
    LUV THESE GUYZ!! I'VE BEEN LISTENING TO THEM FOR A COUPLE YEARS NOW & I'M THRILLED THEY DID NOT GIVE UP THROUGH ALL THE MIS-FORTUNES THEY'VE BEEN THROUGH! BOUGHT THE NEW REMIXED/REMASTERED CD THE WEEK IT KAME OUT & KAN'T WAIT TO SEE A LIVE SHOW SOON! YES, MANY OF THE SONGS ARE RADIO FRIENDLY(SO FUKKIN' WHAT, YES, THEY LOOK HOT & YES, THEY KICK ASS LIVE FROM WHAT I'VE BEEN TOLD. SO, ANYONE WHO DOUBTS THEM SHOULD... LOOK OUT!!!
    Roach2001
    hahaha..a refrigeration mechanic!? youve lost all credibility to critisize now. but im glad you found time away from playing guitar hero enough to restate my point though. yea it sucks have to make 20 points for one single one of them to get across to you. but thats very well, you can continuing listening to them on the "top 40" while you repair another ddiswasher.
    alliwant
    A fair review. I'm a huge fan of theirs but it aint all that groundbreaking.
    calej1753
    dude Egypt Central rox..i live in Memphis and theyve been the best band here for the past 4 years. theyr finally getting deserved recognition. real cool guys and trust me theyr not posers by any means. buy this album if u get a chance...great hard rock
    Peter21UK
    never heard of 'Egypt Central' but after that review i'm tempted to go get the album when i see it, sounds pretty good
    r0cKst4r666
    AHHH! i love these guyz. they're one of my favorite bands. i first heard them on Sirius Satellite Radio in like, September. but, great band! rock on. :]
    Xerothunder
    Weird that I just discovered these guys and now there's a review. Good band, good review.
    Sick_of_you
    I first heard Over and Under and i loved it, then i heard You Make Me Sick. That was the turning point for me, these are awesome!
    leniwm1
    i herd of them a wile back, sometime last year. The first song got me, Over and Under and drew me in. Very good band.
    skyillusion
    I have this CD I got it from their website before they were signed to fat lady music. And its amazing, definitely one of the best albums I've ever purchased. You make me sick, Over and Under, Leap of Faith, Just another Lie. The entire album is amazing, definitely worth checking out.
    Rungej
    I missed a concert with these guys, one of my favorite bands, I'm so pissed about it
    The Con
    Good band. My friend got me into them over the summer. "You Make Me Sick" is my personal favorite.
    devin_g94
    these are not posers! the singer is amazing with an amazing soft voice and a screaming voice. the band blew me away when over and under was featured on "the condemned" (awsome movie) these guys are definatly on their way to some big success!
    cjbrents
    Egypt Central! wow! i know those guys! i never thought that one day they'd be on UG but i guess i can see why they should be! yeah when they came out with "u make me sick" in '05, i didnt know who they were but then i saw them at a few local shows in memphis and got to chat with them! bought their first cd which came out february of last year... or the end of 06, i cant remember! but damn glad to see u posted them on here! great review
    Shread_6009
    "radio friendly" usually means crapy posers, and in the reviewers "Egypt Central lets out a lot of frustration on it's self-titled debut album, with many of the songs recalling everything from being dropped by a major label to lost love. " statement, who cares if the label dropped you you pussy's. can't say anything till i hear the songs tho
    seven92
    God forbid that a band puts out a cd in the style they want that haters must comment that they hate it. i got an idea if u dont like them then dont come to this page. i personally like the band. who cares if they r radio friendly or have eye liner the point is they have so decent music made for people to listen to and u guys act like a black man was elected president....oh wait