White Rabbit review by Egypt Central

• Released: May 31, 2011
  • Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Egypt Central: White Rabbit

Fans of the original Egypt Central CD have long awaited a follow up. Their call was kindly answered in May of this year. Egypt Central's "White Rabbit" takes a more mature form from what we found on the first album. Notably the Vocals have developed further, and guitar gets a bit more into the dirt this time around. There is nothing ground breaking here though, in fact, I feel here that they have taken their style and fused it with an Adema or Sum 41 sound. Only two songs surpass 4 minutes, and they barely make the cut. What we have is mainstream, radio friendly alternative music. That isn't to say though that this CD doesn't have some songs that will really hook you in.

Simple is the name of the game with this band with the lyrics. A lot of lyrics are sadly cliche at times. Songs like "Goodnight" run wild with them. However, if you're looking for an improvement in vocal tone, then you will be in for a treat. While there is a heavy dependency on a slight chorus from the lead singer, the overall result has been a thicker tone. The singer has hands done a better job of settling on a sound, as on the first CD he seemed to have trouble keeping his tone stable. Unfortunately, in the terms of lyrics, this CD is nothing special.

This reminds me a lot of "Kill The Headlights" by Adema. Very radio friendly, easy to listen to alternative rock songs. If you're already a fan of Egypt Central, you will enjoy this CD. Songs like "White Rabbit" and "Ghost Town" are songs that will have you coming back for more. Overall though, the CD felt like a 1 year project at best, and it's obvious that this wasn't the product of 5 years of effort as they say it was. One thing I really thought was poorly done that stood out was track 11 and track 12, are in the same key and same timing just radically different tempos. Leaving you with a bad taste in your mouth as it ends, and wishing there was one more track on this CD. Long story short; average CD from a band with a lot of potential.

Powerblaster
    Slayton101
    Powerblaster wrote: I thought this album was really awesome! I'm not sure if this album deserves only a 6. I'd give it at least an 8. You say that only 2 songs exceed 4 mins well it's quality over quantity in my eyes. I'd much rather listen to a 2 mins song that sounds awesome then a 10 min song that sounds horrible.
    I think that's a great way to put it from a fans point of view for sure. However, trying to give it a completely honest review, I felt as if this CD is just average with a couple of hits on it.