Obsession Review

Eighteen Visions: Obsession
Released: Jun 15, 2004
Genre: Rock
Styles: Post-Hardcore
Obsession is more than a little schizophrenic. But as that condition seems to be the disorder of the day, at least Eighteen Visions swallow their crazy pills with zesty relish.
 Lyrics: 7.5
 8.8
 8.2
 9.3
reviews (2) 1 comment vote for this album:
Obsession Reviewed by: magicam, on october 20, 2004

Sound: Having never heard any of Eighteen Visions previous work I was impressed with this album. Some people deem them to be 'emo' but I don't think that justifies their sound with the variety of styles being used here. They combine grizzly vocal sounds along with melodic harmonised singing on top of crunching, powerful guitar riffs to create a unique, ear shattering sound. // 8

Lyrics: These are fairly standard metal/emo lyrics. They are serious, easy to relate to powerful emotional and angry lyrics which fit perfectly with the stomping riffs and powerful bass lines. // 8

Overall Impression: Having never heard any of their previous albums I cannot compare this album to other work. This album offers some really good metal and emo tunes to keep all you metal lovers moshing. Notable tracks are: 01. Crushed - an all out storming metal track with bone crunching heavy guitars and grizzly rock vocals. 02. I Should Tell You - an emotional ballad style song with an emo twist. 03. Waiting For Heavens - the debut single. Beautiful, heavy, melodic with a Donnie Darko style intro and a rocking pre-chorus. This album really does give me a good impression of the band. Take Ugly Kid Joe, give their guitars a lot more distortion, crank up the bass and throw in a bit of Funeral For A Friend and Voila, you have Eighteen Visions. The combination of styles produces an interesting sound and offers a bit of differentiation from most metal and emo bands. It's definitely worth buying if hardcore metal and emo bands are your thing. Hell, even if they aren't you might like it anyway so give it a try. // 8

Obsession Reviewed by: the_messenger66, on october 01, 2007

Sound: Ok, first of all. Love this album. The sound is excellent for Drop B guitars. From the one liner hardcore "Obsession" to the slow, ballad-like, "Said and Done" was very enjoyable. Eighteen Visions wasn't trying to be anything, show anything, or copy anything. They just rocked. It's very good since they only had one guitarist at this time. // 9

Lyrics: 01. Obsession - the three stages of a doomed relationship. When they couple want to be together, and all elements are against them. It seems to be the theme of the album. 02. I Let Go - this song's about just getting through a tough time or situation. 03. Crushed - the rejection and neglect from another. Girlfriend? or parents? 04. This Time - Mental Anguish in the darkness of night. 05. Tower Of Snakes - the unforgiving of abuse. 06. I Should Tell You - the caring about a love for a girlfriend and everything they've been through. 07. Waiting For The Heavens - one man against the world. 08. Lost In A Dream - self-explanatory. 09. Bleed By Yourself - self-explanatory. 10. A Long Way Home - being far away from something he/she loves. 11. Said And Done - the Aftermath of a relationship. Lyrically, James Hart not too bad. Not a whole lot of it rhymes, but it doesn't half too. Though a lot of it seems to be the same message, just in variation. // 7

Overall Impression: Compared to the other Eighteen Visions albums before this, it's a little less heavy, but the singing is a good difference. James still screams often, which is very satisfying for old fans. Comparing to the newest (and sadly last) album, it sounds old school/vintage. Obsession is kind of a one note-er, but it's a great note, and I want that. Rather that than having a whole bunch of different notes, and having half of them suck. Is I lost this album I would defiantly buy it again. My favorite songs are "I Let Go", "I Should Tell You", "Waiting for the Heavens", and "Lost in a Dream." // 9

Comments