The Best Of Eighteen Visions Review

Released: Jun 12, 2001
Label: Trustkill
Genre: Rock
Styles: Heavy Metal, Hardcore Punk
It's a fine album, filled to the brim with incredibly intense and anger-charged heavy metal.
 8.7
 7.3
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
The Best Of Eighteen Visions Reviewed by: colourofanger, on june 20, 2005

Sound: This is hardcore from back in the day, before hardcore was emo. It's like the instrumental accompaniment to a sociopath making an ex-lover bite the kerb. Polyphonic guitar riffs with speedy drumming and constant throaty screaming. The only downside here is that, while the style used is delightfully brutal, there isn't a moment on the album where they stray from this genre. // 8

Lyrics: The main attention-grabbing comes at the very start of the album, the song "Motionless And White" opening with, "Sit down and shut up so I can sing you your f--king lovesong." After this, the lyrics are mostly standard-angry, or psychotic/violent. While song titles like "Russian roulette with a trigger happy manic depressive" might seem endearing, the lyrics behind the title don't live up to what you might expect. // 6

Overall Impression: I would say the two best songs on this album are "An Old Wyoming Song" and "Slipping Through The Hands Of God" and, truthfully, if you've heard them, then you've heard the best of the best of. Ironically, the "Best Of" album was made after only one album and two eps had been released. Their material after this album is definitely superior. I enjoy having a 100% heavy, brutal, cathartic album in my collection and were it stolen, I would buy it again, if only to scare people, but between this and their album "Vanity," the latter definitely wins out. However, Eighteen Visions are an excellent live band and this is probably the kind of material they should be playing live if they want to reel in more fans. // 8

Comments