Room Noises review by Eisley

• Released: Feb 8, 2005
Eisley: Room Noises

Eisley is a indie/pop quintet from Tyler, Texas. As simple as that sentence started and ended, Eisley's sound and style is far from simplistic. The Band consists of 3 sisters, Sherri, Stacy, and Chauntelle Dupree, who sing and play various instruments, a brother Weston Dupree on drums, and a family friend Jonathon Wilson rockin the four string. The sound of the album is overall a mixture of high vocals of Stacy and Sherri Dupree and noticeable guitar/piano makeshift arpeggios. Room Noises is a lovely mixture of pop sound infused dark indie harmonics. Some highlights of the album in terms of instrumentals include "I Wasn't Prepared" for it's ominous interpretation of the minor key and it's luxurious mixture of the different instruments of each musician. Another sound infused in the album which caught me by surprise was the track "Golly Sandra." It has a poppy little Hawaiian theme to it which gives the album it's transition into the lighter side of Room Noises. After this track, the album heads into what seems like a happy carnival of a cd. Don't fret though it never gets boring. The sounds of "Brightly Wound" and "Lost At Sea" will make you feel like a kid again playing in meadows and fields (if only I lived in a place with meadows sigh). "Plenty of Paper" starts with a creepy organ sound and murky guitars and quickly gets into a catchy chorus. Sort of like the overall sound of the album in a sense. It comes to a close with the storybook inspired "Trolleywood." I saw this song at a concert once performed with a medley of musicians that had played throughout the night and it made this recorded version obsolete so it's unfair of me to rate this song. Overall the sound of the album will not disappoint the eager listener. The only thing that might get people is the fairy-tale sounds of some tracks.

Sherri and Stacy( the main lyricists of Eisley) are very noticeably inspired by fairy-tales and storybook fantasies. This is not to say that they are solely focused on that theme. Many of the songs include a love interest or a friend involved into that fairy tale which makes an intricate lyrical collage. Every word (and that's no exaggeration) is thought out and fits the music better with each passing second. At first glance some of the tracks sound immature and uninspired but deeper thought and listening will open eyes to a very grown-up and beautiful refreshing sound to blandness and monotony. As for singer skills, I have gotten many opinions on the two of them. The lower sounding alto voice is Stacy who plays keyboards as well. The higher is Sherri who plays guitar as well as singing. An easy way to distinguish is to listen to "I wasn't Prepared." The first to sing is Sherri then goes to Stacy. The reason I point this out is that both of the girls use there voices as instruments and can be heard sometimes humming or harmonizing as the other leads. And as lame as it sounds, it's fun to try to see which girl is singing on which. The girls have been featured on songs by bigger bands such as New Found Glory, Fair, and Head Automatica. At some times though the vocals get a little high pitched and get a little nauseating but it's a small factor.

To me, Room Noises is a dark mixture of David Bowie and Barbara Striesand (should I say that) with a hint of Radiohead thrown in the batch. This album is constantly on my repeat button and has but few flaws to it. Some people may not be willing to give it the patience it needs to be fully enjoyed as it takes a while. The bubblegum lyrics may throw off some. High pitched lyrics sometimes overbearing. I highly recommend this album to anyone willing to hear a new sound. And if you end up liking them a lot of their older music from before this album is a mix of heavy songs you might not expect. Check the pre-album "Telescope Eyes." Thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope you enjoy this album as much as I did.