Black Masses review by Electric Wizard

• Released: Nov 1, 2010
Electric Wizard: Black Masses

I'm more of a stoner guy (Kyuss, etc.). Thought this would be too heavy for me. However, tried it anyway, EW are supposed to be the King of doom and it won some doom record of the year award. Title track Black Masses didn't get me too hot, but second track Venus In Furs destroyed me. Was a sound I never heard before. Instantly hooked on the album and went after their other cd's as well ofcourse! This album is not as heavy as Dopethrone, Come My Fanatics and Witchcult Today. Sometimes the chords and rhythm don't seem to fit and the tracks are not as long as usual.

The lyrics are surprisingly clear and mostly in higher voice, especially Venus In Furs, which is not a Velvet Underground cover. Yet the songs don't resolve around them. Which makes the music even more powerful. They stay in the back to be overwhelmed by the low tuned guitars and heavy, slow drum and bass. Subjects that are sang about are still witchcult related. Singing along with Scorpio Curse is a delight, so much overwhelming emotion, especially the chorus and the last sentence of the last verse, "Tears of joy at last as I buuuuuuuuuurn.".

The best tracks are Scorpio Curse (which has been played at every gig on EW's current tour and imo is one of their best songs ever), Venus In Furs (unusual singing voice) and Turn Of Your Mind (just creepy). The album does drag you into the dungeons of doom, but the songs aren't heavy and long enough. It's nowhere near as good as previous albums, but still a good buy, if only to hear what these legends have come up this time. This band has quickly become one of my ten favo's of all time, although they seem to be going somewhat soft now in the studio. Live, they're still as heavy as ever.

EpiExplorer
    I was considering doing a review of this album a few months ago, but in the end I got sidetracked by Black Sabbath.. although the title track is surprisingly catchy.
    robertito696
    Turn off your mind is slowly becoming a favorite of mine. The album took a few listens to get into but I really liked it. Very spacey and echoing.
    millarso
    HoddiDarko
    Love this album, just like the rest of their material. It's different, but still good.
    miauwmjam
    millarso wrote: I am confused by the fact that you made this sound like a disappointment compared to their other albums and then gave it an 8.
    I cannot give the Wizard a 5, now can I? haha. It's a good album, no doubt about that, but more spacey and less brutal. Not your typical EW sound, which is the disappointment really.
    ThePushMan
    Its funny I keep hearing people weren't overly pleased with Black Masses (title song) and that's the one that got me into this album lol. Stand out songs are definitely Venus In Furs, Turn off your mind, Scorpio Curse, and IMO The Nightchild. I like the whole thing though, sort of the direction I visualized the band going in after Witchcult Today oddly.
    Brandon1993
    i LOVE this album i grabbed it as soon as i saw it and was very pleased with it. granted it might not be as heavy as dopethrone or any other album of theirs, its still a great album. i would definitely recommend this to someone who is new to electric wizard. i dont see whats with all the hate towards Black Mass. its a good song and its the song that got me REALLY into the album and wanting to listen to more of it. all of the songs on the album are equally great. even if they are shorter than what people expected from them. im actually listening to it now and im still liking it more and more with every listen.