Dopethrone review by Electric Wizard

• Released: Nov 28, 2000
Electric Wizard: Dopethrone

All of hell agrees, Dopethrone is an aural masterpiece. Tone wise especially, for all guitarist's of the Iommi persuasion. They should allready know this. These boys claim to use only the most high quality tube amps ever made, and that's quite a claim. They use an enormous amount of distortion and an equally enourmous emount of effects. Tuned to a deep drone of C# or C, they play no games. All in all the guitar is ultra heavy and crushing. Mixed to perfection with everything feeling right in it's place and sounding exactly how it should, this should be a benchmark for soundsman every where.

The lyrics are pessimistic in nature, relating to drugs, destruction, paranoia and all occult. They also aim to be horrific. Though Electric Wizard seem like they don't want the lyrics to be lyrics in the conventional sense, they are mixed in such away that they seem like just another instrument adding to the cocoughany that is the Wizard. It is simply just another layer, and that is brilliant. Sometimes seeming in-audible mixing in with the base or guitars.

Dopethrone. Just the name wreaks of drugs, doom, dark and headbanging goodness. Then you break the plastic wrapper and ram it into your computer, joint in hand, and let Vinum Sabbathi start you on the long trip that culminates in the final Iron Man-esque riff of the titel track 'Dopethrone'. It is all I wanted in doom and made me run into the pits of doom, searching for the likes of Sleep and Rev Bizarre, and ultimatley forge a band of our own. It is an experience hard to describe in words, but these words come to mind: darkness, sweat, smoke, acid, tube-amp, Les Paul, SG, satan, hell, head-banging, simple and finally doom. Let this be the catalyst, keep music evil.

marcus00
    I picked up Witchcult Today after hearing so much positive feedback about it, and I loved it right off. I know a lot of people talk about this band growing on them, but from the first listen, they were up there with one of my favorite recent albums. After being addicted to that cd for about a week, I went and found a bunch of their recently re-released old cd's and bought a few, including this one. I am very impressed with everything I've heard from these guys. They've quickly become one of my favorite bands.
    zayG
    Such a great album, those first few seconds of the first track are epic.
    ExtremeMetalFTW
    Dr. Clock wrote: You should listen to Psytrance music if you want something psychedelic. Try some dark psytrance.
    Psychedelic trance is awesome Also called Psycho(spelling varies to Saico, Syko and Syco) in Latin America
    Dr. Clock