Witchcult Today review by Electric Wizard

• Released: Nov 12, 2007
Electric Wizard: Witchcult Today

This album is quite possibly the heaviest offering of 2007 -- forget all your death metal bands, because this is as heavy as it gets. A quick explanation of the sound would be early Sabbath, minus Ozzy on vocals. Yes, I know it's a bit lacking, but it'll have to do. What we're offered in terms of pure sonical production is not something along the lines of the contemporary metal productions we see today. The distortion is far fuzzier (think 1970s) and the drums sound like they did back in the Bonham days. But it all brilliantly complements the overall vibe and the music.

Lyrically, we're thrown some occult themes but nothing totally out of the ordinary given the genre we're dealing with. Torquemada 71 is an interesting choice though, probably dealing with the inquisitor Torquemada (Sixtus IV was crowned Pope in 1471 and would later instate Torquemada).

As a whole, this is probably one of the best metal albums of the year. The fuzzy, messy and incredibly heavy sound of the album enhances the songs beyond what a contemporary production could do for them. There's a certain tripped-out vibe to their grooving riffs and the jam-sections that follow, while the structures of the songs are fairly easy to follow. It's not overly progressive, we're not treated to long technical passages but this is just one of those albums you should listen to in its entirety, with headphones in a dark room. Standout tracks would be the titletrack and Torquemada 71, but this is just one of those albums where listening to it out of sequence doesn't do it justice. Here's your checklist: headphones, dark room, enjoy.

Dr. Metal Head
    It was all right, but not my favorite. Come My Fanatics and Dopethrone were better albums. This was better than Let Us Prey though.
    jerbal
    * prostrates himself infront of the dopethrone * oh aye , great king . i will buy .
    Kotex
    I always liked CMF better than Dope. I thoiught Dope was pretty good though. I'm really diggin' this one thought. I think it's one of my favs.