Element Eighty review by Element Eighty

• Released: Oct 28, 2003
Element Eighty: Element Eighty

Element Eighty's self-titled album has an original sound, kind of a blend of hardcore and nu-metal, with traces of other types of metal. It is definitely a new sound, something that I particularly haven't heard before, so I must say it is good to listen to. Being nu-metal, it does have its off moments, but otherwise this album is a fairly solid release. Element Eighty seem to have based their sound very much around guitar and vocals, where the two seem to almost copy each other and work together at the same time. Drums and bass exist as well, but don't prominently feature. Overall production quality of each track is good, though a few songs sound a bit rough around the edges.

What can I say, lyrics are angsty and pessimistic, typical of nu-metal, though the vocalist manages not to make them sound too whiny, and instead puts rage and passion in to them. His singing skills are actually quite extraordinary. His clean vocals have a great range, as do his screams, and he can effortlessly switch between the two. As is Element Eighty's sound, the vocalist often sings in a way that mimics the way the guitar is being played. It is pretty cool to hear most of the time, but on a few songs it does a get a little bit repetitive. In general though, the singer is good and is definitely the most talented in the group. Possibly one of the best singers I've heard in a nu-metal group actually.

This album is defnitely something worth checking out for all you fans of nu-metal. Element Eighty show that they have an original sound and aren't afraid to use it! It is possible for fans of hardcore or emo to like this aswell, for it has traces of those styles in its music, though I highly doubt any metalhead would get into this at all. Tracks to listen to are "Texas Cries," "Broken Promises" and "Scars." If it was stolen I would probably buy it again because it has some good songs that are really worth listening to.

Otisbum
    Got this CD yesterday, the first time I listened to it I came up with this equation: Korn + Slipknot + Metalcore guitar + talent = E80 The cussing parts are pretty funny.