Element Eighty Review

8.1
 8.7
 7.5
Element Eighty Reviewed by: Horvat, on november 28, 2005

Sound: Element Eighty's self-titled album has an original sound, kind of a blend of hardcore and nu-metal, with traces of other types of metal. It is definitely a new sound, something that I particularly haven't heard before, so I must say it is good to listen to. Being nu-metal, it does have its off moments, but otherwise this album is a fairly solid release. Element Eighty seem to have based their sound very much around guitar and vocals, where the two seem to almost copy each other and work together at the same time. Drums and bass exist as well, but don't prominently feature. Overall production quality of each track is good, though a few songs sound a bit rough around the edges. // 7

Lyrics: What can I say, lyrics are angsty and pessimistic, typical of nu-metal, though the vocalist manages not to make them sound too whiny, and instead puts rage and passion in to them. His singing skills are actually quite extraordinary. His clean vocals have a great range, as do his screams, and he can effortlessly switch between the two. As is Element Eighty's sound, the vocalist often sings in a way that mimics the way the guitar is being played. It is pretty cool to hear most of the time, but on a few songs it does a get a little bit repetitive. In general though, the singer is good and is definitely the most talented in the group. Possibly one of the best singers I've heard in a nu-metal group actually. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is defnitely something worth checking out for all you fans of nu-metal. Element Eighty show that they have an original sound and aren't afraid to use it! It is possible for fans of hardcore or emo to like this aswell, for it has traces of those styles in its music, though I highly doubt any metalhead would get into this at all. Tracks to listen to are "Texas Cries," "Broken Promises" and "Scars." If it was stolen I would probably buy it again because it has some good songs that are really worth listening to. // 8

Element Eighty Reviewed by: LSPapercutAP, on october 09, 2007

Sound: Element Eighty has a sound like no other. The vocalist is great enough to carry the album but the instruments are just as fn powerful! The lead singer blends melodic singing with a very unique type of screaming (it's a low but not death metal low type of scream that sometimes goes on some pretty sweet cursing rants). The balance between these 2 is perfect to create a sound that you will never get tired of. The guitarwork on this album is filled w/ blasting barchords in a fd up tuning and he works in great octaves strip away from the low sound. Having only 1 guitar in a band is tricky and he nails it created a rythem that makes you want to head bang constantly (xcept in Scars (The Echo Song)), great song tho He even pulls off some pretty sweet solos in songs like bloodshot, dummy block, pancake land, and flatline as the bass carries the previous rythems. Overall I love the unique metal sound on this album and it gets a perfect 10. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are great, the singer commonly talks about past love relationships that are now broken, however it isnt all mushy! but rather very metal as he makes ur blood pump with his advanced screaming skills. He also is an amazing singer that will relieve ur eardrums at the perfect time when you need a melodic break. The lyrics are also wicked sweet because of his angry cursing breakdowns, which is something I personally haven't seen before. The cursing also shows that he allows himself to connect to more people unlike bands that might be afraid of swearing cause of hte kids, because sometimes you just feel like you need to f--k someone up. Don't be intimidated by the first vocals you hear in the opening track Goodbye (love it), he then immediately shows you his more melodic side 5 seconds after and that pretty much somes up the way the vocals are set up throughout the album. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is fn sweet and is one of my favorite albums because of how unique it is! It is a sound that I have not found anywhere else in the world and I urge you to buy this album and support them! They are a great band that I want to see succeed and make it big (so I can buy a tee) The song that got me hooked to them was Texas Cries and the most impressive songs on this album are Goodbye, Bloodshot, Broken Promises, Parachute, Dummy Block, Scars (The Echo Song), and Rabies. I love the unique sound the only thing I could comment negatively on is the end of the album. After Rabies I feel that the songs are not up to par with the earlier songs on the album. If this were stolen I would yes buy it again (twice) and go see them in 50 different states. // 9

Comments