And The Land Of Fake Believe Review

artist: eleventyseven date: 01/08/2016 category: compact discs

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

eleventyseven: And The Land Of Fake Believe
Release Date: May 16, 2006
Genres: Pop Punk
Label: Flicker
Addictive melodies and deeper than expected lyrics, Eleventyseven's debut packs a pure pop punch.
 Lyrics: 8.5
 8.7
 8.5
 8.9
And The Land Of Fake Believe Reviewed by: punkrockdude2, on june 13, 2006

Sound: The sound of this album is pretty dang cool. This band's sound is really great. It's a copy of the old Blink 182 tone, that pop-punk distortion. You know, where chrods like 3X5 sound cool. There bass player Caleb, who I've met, has really cool Mark Hoppus type bass line where he uses the D and G strings more than the E and A. Some of the songs even have a cool little '80s keyboard which is really cool. This is a 3 peice band and they sound awesome live. They are all nice guys and they are a on a christain rock label but don't let that fool you they know how to rock and have a good time. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics of this album are astounding. They really are that good. Matt is a great singer. 01. More Than A Revolution - this song has great lyrics about how everything is all the same and how something more than a revolution needs to replace whats going on. 02. Stellar Sayonara - this is a good song about how Matt is fed up with all these whiney bands these days complaining about how they lost a girlfriend. It's about getting over it and just living your life. 03. Nostalgiatopia - title explains itself. 04. MySpace - this song is about how people on MySpace are fake and most of the time hardly ever tell the truth about themselves. 05. Here With You - song about loving God. 06. The Unicorn Revolt - this song is about how breaking up shouldnt be that sad because God will always be there with you no matter what. 06. Anti-Adieu - this is an awesome mosh song. Yeah we moshed at a christain concert. This is about letting your girlfriend be the only thing on your mind. 07. Odd's And Even So's - this song is about a girl who nobody understands. 08. Teenage Heartbreak - this is my faveorite song about once again about how you shouldn't let heartbreak ruin your life. "Teenage heartbreak never hurt so bad" kind of like Unicorn Revolt. 09. Yesterday's Glues - this is just a cool mellow song. Probally be great as acoustic. 10. Reach That Far - this song is all about god it is an amazing a must listen for anyone who loves God. // 10

Overall Impression: This cd is a great debut album of a small punk band from South Carolina. They play a great live show and they rock a lot. The best songs on this album are: More Than A Revolution, Nostalgitopia, Teenage Heartbreak, Reach That Far. I loved everything about this CD and hated that it was short but I still loved it. If it were lost or stolen I would go buy it again and I have it signed by the band 'cause I went to the CD release party and got them to sign it. They were awesome live if you get a chance to check them out you should. // 10

And The Land Of Fake Believe Reviewed by: Kajinaga, on january 08, 2016

Sound: Eleventyseven employ the essential up-beat pop-punk sound all throughout this album. Some tracks have catchy guitar riffs such as "A Stellar Sayonara" and their hit single, "MySpace." Even though this album is a debut, the production of it is quite fantastic (props to Travis Wyrick, who has produced albums for the likes of Disciple, POD and Pillar). It still holds somewhat of a raw but clean and well mixed sound. They apply some synthesizer to a few of their songs (A Stellar Sayonara, Teenage Heartbreak), and while I can respect the use of synthesizers to give some songs a little different sound, personally I feel like some overlaying guitar-work would have been the route to go. I still very much enjoy the songs nonetheless. Musically, my top 3 recommended songs on this album would be "MySpace," "Anti-Adieu" and "A Stellar Sayonara." // 7

Lyrics: If you're into pop-punk at all, you'll find some catchy-fun listening to this album. When listening to the melodies the vocalist sings I'm reminded of Blink-182 a little, such as in the starting track "More Than a Revolution." Matt Langston did a great job of writing catchy melodies, after a run or two through the album you'll be singing along to most of the songs. Content-wise, Matt writes an album featuring hope, love, the pursuit to make wrongs right and heartbreak. These are typical pop-punk subjects and Matt does a good job of writing content around these themes. // 7

Overall Impression: As Eleventyseven's first release, "And the Land of Fake Believe" was a great starting point. This review is written nearly 10 years after it's been released and as of now the group has disbanded leaving behind 4 albums and 4 EPs. This is by far my favorite album they released. They moved towards a more electro-punk style in their later albums, but still had hints of their pop-punk roots. I enjoyed this album on Spotify, but found it on Amazon Prime for $4.99 and felt that was definitely a steal. Overall, I'd recommend this album to someone who wants to get into pop-punk, especially the Christian section of it, but I wouldn't consider it to be a staple of any kind. // 7

Comments