Galactic Conquest review by eleventyseven

• Released: Sep 4, 2007
  • Reviewer's score: 5.3 Decent
eleventyseven: Galactic Conquest

Whatever bands do to stand out of the crowd nowadays! These four dudes from South California thought the idea about robots, galactic invasions and Milky Way is not too stale and old for a break-through. And it seems like they were quite right! Before we could even notice it, they are releasing the sophomore record, based on the same stellar idea! Galactic Conquest is the second album by Eleventyseven, the follow-up to their 2006 debut And The Land of Fake Believe. The CD turned out to be very light, delivering a happy mood in every track and the majority of the album is upbeat and danceable. Writing the album, guys tried to work on some new approaches. They used a combined total of 16 different sythns on the record to make one sound. Trying too hard they overdid it -- there are way too many electronics on the record, which leaves you wishing for more real instruments. The situation gets even worse after every next track -- the closer it gets to the end, the less guitars appear. By the last song Galaxies Collide it all gets so surreal, you just wonder why you are still listening to that. This track is a perfect reminder of German dance pop of mid-nineties. The songs are addictive and I'd say even sticky -- some primitive melody that stays in you head and bugs you all through the day.

Even though their music might seem careless and dumb, the guys are giving a lesson with their songs. Vocalist Matt Langston claims that Most of what I say on this record, are thing that I wish someone had said to me when I was younger. As well as on their previous album, here is a ballad about God -- It's Beautiful in which Langston accepts that he is close to God. The song appears quite whining and uninteresting. Langston's voice has the same effect over his voice in every track -- exactly the one you heard in techno 10 years ago. Nothing else that I can add about his vocal abilities.

I guess the guys were writing the album under the influence of the first Star Wars movies -- it's filled with the same cheap computer flourishes. But unfortunately it's much more unoriginal. It's like punk-pop with the same computer effects all through the record. What is their excuse? The guys say they tried to make the music accessible to robots, droids, moms, dads, and the occasional bear trapper. Such a variety of listeners... maybe that's why it's so mediocre. The songs just keep going on the same level and I don't think the musicians manage to differ one track from another themselves. I actually was quite surprised to know this is the band's second album. Did they at least learn on the mistakes of the debut? And did sound the same? If the band is gonna keep going in the same direction, the next record will be a killer literally -- while this one almost killed me, the next one will do it for sure.

Starz*
    aren't they from South Carolina...? *checks myspace* yeah.. they're from greenville, south carolina... not california. and there are actually 3 members in the band.. and a robot... but the robot doesn't really count.
    Up D Grove
    eleventyseven is a threesome they have the astronaught to pump the crowds up and to dance] I saw them in florida with the astronaught and in omaha at a coffee hang
    paintballaddict
    these guys arent from south california they are from sotuh carolina. I saw them before they were big. there name used to be seveneleven.
    chapaton3
    dfresh91 wrote: i think that they are alright, but their bass player sucks, but its awsome that there christians
    Yes Its Awesome They Are Christians. Why Do You Think Their Bass Player Sucks I Think He Does Some Pretty Cool Bass Lines.
    chapaton3
    This is probably the coolest sound i have heard a long time from a band. Dont dis them because they are beter then you. This review sucked
    Starz*
    grr.. i HEART their cover of I want it that way. i got rid of my heart.
    Starz*
    CapnKickass wrote: I saw them here in winnipeg, they were entertaining. It was hilarious when we got to rock out to a backstreet song, it actually sounded good. The bass player was wearing some kind poncho...
    I
    sege
    Wow i totally disagree with this review, this cd is freaking amazing! their next cd will prolly be even better. Yeah and this band being Christian makes it even better! 10/10 for me
    CapnKickass
    dfresh91
    Ragdolll888
    marktuazon wrote: i thought they were a threesome?
    I know, when they came to Huntington they were. Guess they arn't now?
    nfgrox312
    i loved the first cd, but i didn't buy this one. what i heard was way too overdone with electronics and they lost the pop punk vibe.
    Strat = Love
    I dont see what the guy who reviewed this cd's problem is. Eleventyseven is a great band, but for full effect, you really need to see them live at least once. They are awesome on stage. I saw them this summer at Ichthus, and was very impressed with their music and stage antics. They are also a Christian band which is a plus. They really rock.
    I am punk "BF"
    These guys are christain. thats so cool, they rock. I got to hear one of their songs from this album before the album sctually came out and it was so so so so so great.
    Kgrimes2
    Wow... this is sad. I personally loved the album and think it deserves more than this. Sure, it's a lot of electronic synths, but if you want more, go find a different band.