Caves [EP] Review

9.4
 9.7
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
Caves [EP] Reviewed by: metallicaflavor, on august 02, 2011

Sound: I found this band by chance on YouTube, and they do not disappoint. Having a 5-song EP with an intro track doesn't seem like much, but it really turns out to be a lot when you listen to this impressive release. They mix technical, note-based (not a lot of open chords) metalcore with a little djent in their musical style. It all sounds very good together and every song has a little something different to offer. To be totally honest, I wasn't disappointed by any of the songs on this album, but I'm trying to write this review from an unbiased perspective. Most metalcore fans probably wouldn't consider this release "amazing" but I really like the technical style this band has. "Principles" is a fast-based song with a lot of notework an awesome breakdown near the end. That song is one of my favorites on the release. "Array" starts off with a little lick/breakdown and is another good song on the album. A lot of memorable riffs go into this song and a nice solo at the end completes the fade-out of the song. "Caves" is the "single" from this album because they have the music video for it up on YouTube. It has some of the most impressive guitar work on the album and it really sounds like a little bit of melodic was thrown into this song (making me like it even more). It also has some good lyrics in it. "Odeon" is probably my favorite on the album. It starts fast right away and it has a few nice breakdowns and some impressive drum work too. It has an awesome fast note section in the middle also. Overall, I was very impressed with the sound on this release and how this group was able to sound totally different from most of the metalcore in my music library. // 9

Lyrics: A lot of the lyrics are about changing and finding out your mistakes. They can really speak to some people and not just talk about partying like Asking Alexandria or some other band like that. "Caves" is all about struggle and being alone in struggle. Lyrically, this album is also pretty impressive. Vocally, most fans would downplay this release because the lead vocalist sounds like he only recorded one vocal track for most of the tracks with no double-tracking or extra vocals (only every now and then). It sounds a little empty at most points, which can make people believe he's not very good at all. It's pretty impressive to have a full enough scream to be able to have to record only one vocal track and be satisfied with the results, so Elitist also did a good job here. // 9

Overall Impression: I really can't compare this EP to any artist realistically because I don't see huge influence from any bands I listen to. It all sounds very genuine and different to me. The band did a great job in the aspect of originality, probably because they know fans are always looking for something different. All the songs are really impressive to me. They all display great guitar, bass, drum, and vocal work, the guitar mostly. I almost never heard open chords on the whole album, and that's what most metalcore fans are used to. It sounded like the guitarists' fingers must have always been flying around the frets. The drums were also very impressive and technical. Everything on this album just fits together awesomely and creates a truly impressive metalcore release. The band is recording a full-length right now and I honestly can't wait to hear how it sounds after listening to "Caves". // 9

Comments