On The Verge Of Losing Everything [EP] Review

artist: Ella date: 11/12/2005 category: compact discs

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Release Date: 2005
Genres: Melodic Metal/Hardcore
With the cult of Indie bands making it into the charts this year, Ella are just what we need to give us a well needed dose of promising hardcore music.
 9.4
 9.7
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
On The Verge Of Losing Everything [EP] Reviewed by: si_slash, on november 12, 2005

Sound: With most 'good' metal bands in the world originating from America, it seems as if there isn't much to offer from other countries. So imagine my suprise when a UK based band, who had already recieved acclaimed reviews from rock sound magazine and the UK's Radio 1 Rock Show, stepped up. Hailing from the murkey city of Bristol, England, Ella are a five piece metal band who have the capability and talent to finally give the UK a representative in the Metal scene. Their style is hard, heavy, fast, melodic and soulfull. On this CD you have 5 tracks, most of which the band will play at any of thier live shows (which I might add, get to one, they do not disappoint). This EP took best part of 2 years to finish, with many studio sessions, and various mixes being passed around. It was produced with the help of Mark Williams (fairly well known) in a london studio. The talent this band show is incredible. Ella can, and will go far with the right label and publicity. // 10

Lyrics: Ben Devereaux has this fantastic ability to deliver crushing, screaming lyrics whilst then breaking to a melodic, soulfull piece. He has an outstanding voice and a distinctly indiviual voice. The Lyrics themselves also suit the music. "Lay there with open eyes, so take them to lose them" - Magnolia. This EP demonstrates the bands abilities and talents and clearly shows they can really represent the UK and compete with the big boys. // 9

Overall Impression: As this is their first EP, it needed to be special. It needed to be something which would grab your attention and hold you through tracks 1 to 5. This EP does that. The future looks so bright for these guys. If it were lost or stolen, not only would I buy a new one, but I'd find and beat the shit out the clown who stole it. // 10

Comments