Elliot Minor review by Elliot Minor

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Released: Apr 14, 2008
  • Sound: 8
  • Lyrics: 7
  • Overall Impression: 8
  • Reviewer's score: 7.7 Good
  • Users' score: 8 (47 votes)
Elliot Minor: Elliot Minor
5

Sound — 8
I've been listening to Elliot Minor for a while; the demos they produced early last year were really phenomenal for a band that had only been together for a short period of time. As the album swings into the intro track 'Time After Time' the organ intro melts in perfectly with the clean guitars. This track shows promise for things to come on this record, it's stretching to length of being extraordinary, epic even. It is clear that there is some classical influence on this record, with guitar riffs accompanied by enchanting piano ballads. I have to say there are parts to this record where they could have made it better; it has a sense of being a little bit too repetitive and in parts to an extent of whining rather than singing. Songs such as 'Still Figuring Out' is living proof of this and with first listen you'd expect it to be something off a Mcfly album. But there are two songs that make up for the odds disappointment. Moving onto the singing I like the way they have used two vocalists, Alex and Ed complement each other perfectly and if one was missing the album would have no diversity what'soever. Take 'Silently' this song is incredible on so many levels, the intro is stripped down to just Alex, a piano and haunting strings echoing in the background. This is the song where both of the vocal abilities are proved for greatness and also the classical influence is clear, this song is epic and deserves a good few listens to grasp the effect. 'Elliot Minor' is not a record for everyone, with it's radio friendly songs and a sound that is alternatively Taking Back Sunday meeting muse, it has a clean catchy edge with some repetitive hooks but all in all it's a decent first album and deserves at least three fair listens.

Lyrics — 7
In this field is where the album is let down. The lyrics are extremely basic and considering the song titles e.g. 'Still Figuring Out' it's to be expected. 'Still figuring out how to stay like this forever still figuring out today' not the most complex of all lyrics and in comparison to the way the song is built up the icing on the cake truly is disappointing. But then again such songs as 'The Broken Minor' and 'The liar is you' fight a decent front against the weaker songs but it's still not enough to compensate for entire album. It's very angsty and lyrically speaking it is proof of Pop-punk influences. On the plus side of the lyrics being so simple it doesn't take away the attention from the sound, but if it did then some of the songs would be epic to an extent that Muse reach for with their records. This is their first album and they are young musicians and in pro it does show promise for further developments from these guys. One of the things I admire is how they have managed to suit the lyrics to the songs, again, 'Silently' shows a perfect diversity of meaningful lyrics colliding with truly beautiful and harmonic music.

Overall Impression — 8
I have been waiting for this record for a while; critics have been gashing their teeth into Elliot Minor viciously too. This record is polished with raging guitars accompanied by harmonic strings and piano melodies to die for. But it also carries the mainstream disease of repetitiveness and in parts it does leave your mind asking the question, What the hell is this? I have to admit I was a little disappointed the first time I listened but as it plays again and again it grows into some kind of wild flower. At times it reminds of bands such as Mcfly with it's simple chord connections and catchy choruses. But then again the layers of sound are a match to the likes of Panic At The Disco and yeah the lyrics aren't up to a great standard but at the end of the day when you have 'The Broken Minor' blaring from the speakers there is a taste of the future in the air. This isn't the greatest album to be released this year but it's one of the most memorable and it could even possibly be a masterpiece. Elliot Minor have created a library of songs that reflect them as a band that will be around the music scene for quite a while and love or hate them they do have talent, and talent like this doesn't come along that easily.

29 comments sorted by best / new / date

    CrowLord
    The album is quite good, but i wouldn't go as far to say that its epic, or even a masterpiece. The stuff is very poppy, but i think thats what they were aiming for. Maybe future releases will be a little more epic, as they mature and their talents develop
    Nataleh--x
    The album isn't bad, I quite like it but a few of their songs go on for a bit and sound the same
    Hemani Co
    I would not call it manufactured, but it certainly is 'all done before' music and aimed specifically for the mainstream market - the album is nothing special. It just shows classical training does little to directly aid creativity and innovation in music. Defend them all you want, but come on, there is no argument they are following safe procedures that have been tested and worked countless times before. And for that reason alone, it's a fail for me.
    Marley167
    Rock'n'Roller wrote: bonus card wrote: undeaded wrote: Manufactured pop-tarts. Thank god for the new CoB album to keep me sane. just no! been listening to them since they first recorded their demos and they have worked their asses of to get where they are. just because you havent got the tenacity to fight for success. awesome live and they deserve every success they achieve. and what is wrong with pop/rock/punk and McFly anyway? not everything has to be complex phrasing. it takes skill to write a seemless simple melody aswell. Punk? you silly bugger
    +1
    DroogieSteve
    Perfect album, it would be a crying shame to clash this with a genre as musically retarded as "pop-punk." I can't stand that there are BFS albums with better reviews than this. It seems that most of Elliot Minors pop-punk fans are incapable of opening their ears to the music any further than the catchy vocal melody's.
    littleleo88
    goth clash wrote: undeaded wrote: Manufactured pop-tarts. Thank god for the new CoB album to keep me sane. Riiiiight...Because they didn't work to get where they are, did they? They aren't all classically trained musicians and former head choristers, right? They don't know who to construct melodies because they're "manufactured pop-tarts" and they lip sync live, right? You are too wrong...Just cause they don't go screaming their lungs out about death and gore in all their songs doesn't make them crap. I think you should actually go to one of their live shows and pay attention to what a real musician is.
    agreed, im a fan of both the aformentioned bands, and neither of them deserve slating.
    aiden4140
    goth clash = legend Right, obviously we all have different opinions. However, opinions aren't facts. It's ok to say you dislike the band - no band in the world will ever be liked by everyone. And i agree with the comment, two up from this one, about the charts being fiction. In the end, Elliot Minor have worked hard on the album. I assume every other band/artist works hard on their albums. The point is that this is the band's first ever album and the music is of a very high standard - i don't know many other bands that can use so many instruments together so naturally. I know what i have just said is an opinion that can be disagreed with, however credit must be given to this effort.
    goth clash
    undeaded wrote: Manufactured pop-tarts. Thank god for the new CoB album to keep me sane.
    Riiiiight...Because they didn't work to get where they are, did they? They aren't all classically trained musicians and former head choristers, right? They don't know who to construct melodies because they're "manufactured pop-tarts" and they lip sync live, right? You are too wrong...Just cause they don't go screaming their lungs out about death and gore in all their songs doesn't make them crap. I think you should actually go to one of their live shows and pay attention to what a real musician is.
    AVIDFANOFSOUNDS
    bonus card : AVIDFANOFSOUNDS wrote: Or even better The Descendents they crap on mcfly, mcfly is just a weedy pop cover act of them that's why the McFly lad who writes the songs is one of the most successful songwriters. 10 number ones that he wrote for both McFly and other artists is nothing of course...
    Who care about number ones, like the crazy frog was number one for many weeks and that was crap, the charts is complete fiction to what people is really listening to and if you are looking for an epic album more suggestings biffy clyro, kula shaker ( amazing band, probs one of the best)
    metal_broady
    CoB are shit, i used to like them but now i cannot see what i liked about them - yeh they may be "better musicians" but so what.....id rather listen to elliot minor than a over done speedy finish metal band screaming. (despite the fact i own all of CoBs albums)
    Rock'n'Roller
    bonus card wrote: undeaded wrote: Manufactured pop-tarts. Thank god for the new CoB album to keep me sane. just no! been listening to them since they first recorded their demos and they have worked their asses of to get where they are. just because you havent got the tenacity to fight for success. awesome live and they deserve every success they achieve. and what is wrong with pop/rock/punk and McFly anyway? not everything has to be complex phrasing. it takes skill to write a seemless simple melody aswell.
    Punk? you silly bugger
    duncang
    A friend of mine's band supported them at a local gig a while ago, said they were absolute pompous twats. Music's not too bad though, from what I've heard.
    TheAmenCorner89
    cheese_weasel wrote: The epic album of the year over, say Fortress by Protest The Hero? I think not! I can appreciate the talent of the musicianship but dear god I hate this band. My sister repeatedly plays three of their songs very loudly. Not my thing at all, find them a bit whiney and irritating.
    +1 Not my thing either
    stuartini
    loving how people still think they're manufactured. if u ever saw their webisodes or, even better, their live show, you would know that these guys are really tight and clearly know what they're doing in terms of musicianship and as friends who have made this band from scratch. as for the album, i was hoping for 'Jacky Jules' and 'Sometimes You are Wrong' to be there somewhere, but i love it.
    bonus card
    AVIDFANOFSOUNDS wrote: Or even better The Descendents they crap on mcfly, mcfly is just a weedy pop cover act of them
    that's why the McFly lad who writes the songs is one of the most successful songwriters. 10 number ones that he wrote for both McFly and other artists is nothing of course...
    cheese_weasel
    The epic album of the year over, say Fortress by Protest The Hero? I think not! I can appreciate the talent of the musicianship but dear god I hate this band. My sister repeatedly plays three of their songs very loudly. Not my thing at all, find them a bit whiney and irritating.
    patch_rt
    This album blew me away, the intensisty of the guitaring, the inovative harmonies, the complexity of the keyboards/orchestrial peices, the variety in drum rythems and the distinct bass riffs; they all intricate beautifully together with ever changing dynamics, presence and style really making this ablum THE EPIC of the year regardless of what the references above have stated. This album is a must.
    AVIDFANOFSOUNDS
    I don't like them, they started off okay with parral words, having a quite cool dark element to it but they have come all other mcfly wannbes they have gone to teenage girl pop stuff also
    and what is wrong with pop/rock/punk and McFly anyway? not everything has to be complex phrasing. it takes skill to write a seemless simple melody aswell
    there is no punk in any of there songs if you really want to listen to pop punk listen to the ramones or even blink they do it the best
    bonus card
    undeaded wrote: Manufactured pop-tarts. Thank god for the new CoB album to keep me sane.
    just no! been listening to them since they first recorded their demos and they have worked their asses of to get where they are. just because you havent got the tenacity to fight for success. awesome live and they deserve every success they achieve. and what is wrong with pop/rock/punk and McFly anyway? not everything has to be complex phrasing. it takes skill to write a seemless simple melody aswell.
    undeaded
    Manufactured pop-tarts. Thank god for the new CoB album to keep me sane.
    bass1991guitar
    I actually like these guys, not really my thing though. I read an interveiw with the bass player in this months BGM.
    goth clash
    It's an awesome album....And you forgot the "yeaaahh" when you mentioned Still Figuring Out.
    USCENDONE BENE
    For a debut, this is a pretty quality album. Say what you want about them, but they have obviously put the time in to create ridiculously catchy tunes.