Elliot Minor review by Elliot Minor

• Released: Apr 14, 2008
Elliot Minor: Elliot Minor

Prepare for a totally biased review. Elliot Minor are my favourite band, I've seen them twice and I've been a fan for over 2 years. So basically, there's no way that this is going to be a negative review. It's hard to nail Elliot Minor's sound, drawing influences from pop, rock and classical music. The Classical element is huge throughout the album, completed by pop-rock style riffs as well as a keyboard player in the band. Lead guitarist and vocalist Alex Davies's flawless singing backed up by other guitarist and vocalist Ed Minton's flawless singing is definitely a good combination. The album itself, is Elliot Minor's self titled Debut. It took over a year to record in LA. They first came to the attention of music fans when the video for "Parallel Worlds" was shown on various music channels.

As with typical Pop-Rock songs, most of the lyrics are based around love, girls, relationships and heartbreak. There are a few exceptions though, "Parallel Worlds" is written about supernatural events that happened in Alex and Ed's old boarding school, "The Broken Minor"'s lyrical theme is about the difficulty of writing a piece of music and then the satisfaction of seeing it all come together. All in all, the lyrics suit the music. Maybe not the most challenging on the brain, but they work with the music, so it's all good.

I'm not gonna lie, when I went to my local record store to buy this (13 minutes after it opened, yes, I counted) I cried on the bus home listening to it. Being a fan of elliot minor, a huge fan, and seeing them take so long to finally get a chance to silence the critics and hearing them do it in such spectacular fashion was too much for me. Epic finisher Last Call to New York was the one that did it for me, complete with a minute and a half of fireworks and cheering at the end. I love every song on this record, although the best ones are without doubt: "Parallel Worlds", "The White one is Evil", "Liar is you", "The Broken Minor", "Jessica", "Still Figuring Out", "Running Away", and "Last Call to New York". There is one slightly weaker song that I didn't think was as good, although still great, and that was: "Lucky Star". I don't know what it is, but I don't like it as much. There are better demos than this that didn't get included so it's a shame. Anyway, all in all, Elliot Minor is a great album, not perfect, but pretty damn close to it. I'd like to see any band that combined Classical, Pop and Rock music to top this with their debut release.

em!ly
    its not the best album ive ever bought (see paramore : Riot!) for that (or any avril lavigne album) but their songs are catchy and fun so whats wrong with that? youve got the best of both , the pop stuff like jessica and darker songs like parralel worlds.