Elliot Minor Review

Elliot Minor: Elliot Minor
Release Date: Apr 14, 2008
Label: Warner
Genres: Rock
Debut album from hotly-touted young York band who bring their classical training to bear on rock music, producing a bombastic strain of piano-led pop-punk.
 8.4
 8.8
Elliot Minor Reviewed by: shooshi123, on april 15, 2008

Sound: I've been listening to Elliot Minor for a while; the demos they produced early last year were really phenomenal for a band that had only been together for a short period of time. As the album swings into the intro track 'Time After Time' the organ intro melts in perfectly with the clean guitars. This track shows promise for things to come on this record, it's stretching to length of being extraordinary, epic even. It is clear that there is some classical influence on this record, with guitar riffs accompanied by enchanting piano ballads. I have to say there are parts to this record where they could have made it better; it has a sense of being a little bit too repetitive and in parts to an extent of whining rather than singing. Songs such as 'Still Figuring Out' is living proof of this and with first listen you'd expect it to be something off a Mcfly album. But there are two songs that make up for the odds disappointment. Moving onto the singing I like the way they have used two vocalists, Alex and Ed complement each other perfectly and if one was missing the album would have no diversity what'soever. Take 'Silently' this song is incredible on so many levels, the intro is stripped down to just Alex, a piano and haunting strings echoing in the background. This is the song where both of the vocal abilities are proved for greatness and also the classical influence is clear, this song is epic and deserves a good few listens to grasp the effect. 'Elliot Minor' is not a record for everyone, with it's radio friendly songs and a sound that is alternatively Taking Back Sunday meeting muse, it has a clean catchy edge with some repetitive hooks but all in all it's a decent first album and deserves at least three fair listens. // 8

Lyrics: In this field is where the album is let down. The lyrics are extremely basic and considering the song titles e.g. 'Still Figuring Out' it's to be expected. 'Still figuring out how to stay like this forever still figuring out today' not the most complex of all lyrics and in comparison to the way the song is built up the icing on the cake truly is disappointing. But then again such songs as 'The Broken Minor' and 'The liar is you' fight a decent front against the weaker songs but it's still not enough to compensate for entire album. It's very angsty and lyrically speaking it is proof of Pop-punk influences. On the plus side of the lyrics being so simple it doesn't take away the attention from the sound, but if it did then some of the songs would be epic to an extent that Muse reach for with their records. This is their first album and they are young musicians and in pro it does show promise for further developments from these guys. One of the things I admire is how they have managed to suit the lyrics to the songs, again, 'Silently' shows a perfect diversity of meaningful lyrics colliding with truly beautiful and harmonic music. // 7

Overall Impression: I have been waiting for this record for a while; critics have been gashing their teeth into Elliot Minor viciously too. This record is polished with raging guitars accompanied by harmonic strings and piano melodies to die for. But it also carries the mainstream disease of repetitiveness and in parts it does leave your mind asking the question, What the hell is this? I have to admit I was a little disappointed the first time I listened but as it plays again and again it grows into some kind of wild flower. At times it reminds of bands such as Mcfly with it's simple chord connections and catchy choruses. But then again the layers of sound are a match to the likes of Panic At The Disco and yeah the lyrics aren't up to a great standard but at the end of the day when you have 'The Broken Minor' blaring from the speakers there is a taste of the future in the air. This isn't the greatest album to be released this year but it's one of the most memorable and it could even possibly be a masterpiece. Elliot Minor have created a library of songs that reflect them as a band that will be around the music scene for quite a while and love or hate them they do have talent, and talent like this doesn't come along that easily. // 8

Elliot Minor Reviewed by: ParamoreMadXD, on april 21, 2009

Sound: Elliot Minors sound may be described as some as being mediocre, or even rubbbish, but I, as a fan of the band, believe it to be quite good. They incorporate the bands classical training into a blend of catchy riffs and gorgeous harmonies. Some of the tracks on the album are quiet(one track being named very appropriatley 'Silently') and others are darker(the albums standout track, 'Parallel Worlds' being one due to the story behind it) and others are impossibly catchy, bounce about songs('Running Away'). The album is overall, an impressive debut by a band that will hopefully be on the scene for years to come. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in the album span a few topics. For example, the song 'Parallel Worlds is about a supernatural and ghostly expeirience, and the slightly darker tone of the song compared to every other song shows the creepiness, whereas the song 'Still Figuring Out' shows a totally different theme, being about trying to stay together as a group after leaving school. The lyrics in the album are well written, but can be cheesy sometimes. The singer skills, well what can I say. Alex Davies and Ed Minton's voices go extremely well together, and the harmonies on this album are simply amazing. This may be due to the fact that both singers were choirboys in their youth, but I dounbt anyone cares about that. // 9

Overall Impression: This album may not compare to other artists in some peoples eyes, but Elliot Minor have the potential to bring out an album that can compare, and even bypass some of todays music. In my opinion, the most impressive songs on the album would have to be the anthemic 'Running Away', which can get a crowd jumping in seconds, and the heartfelt(and slightly cheesy)'Last Call To New York City'. The thing I love about this album is the fact that it is different from most of the mainstream rubbish that is being produced nowadays. It contains a lot of talent and hard work and is just quite epic really. The only thing I don't like about it is the fact that it ends. If this album were ever stolen from me or lost, I would most definatley go and buy it again, as it has slowley but surely become my favorite album. // 10

Elliot Minor Reviewed by: Morry, on july 28, 2008

Sound: Prepare for a totally biased review. Elliot Minor are my favourite band, I've seen them twice and I've been a fan for over 2 years. So basically, there's no way that this is going to be a negative review. It's hard to nail Elliot Minor's sound, drawing influences from pop, rock and classical music. The Classical element is huge throughout the album, completed by pop-rock style riffs as well as a keyboard player in the band. Lead guitarist and vocalist Alex Davies's flawless singing backed up by other guitarist and vocalist Ed Minton's flawless singing is definitely a good combination. The album itself, is Elliot Minor's self titled Debut. It took over a year to record in LA. They first came to the attention of music fans when the video for "Parallel Worlds" was shown on various music channels. // 10

Lyrics: As with typical Pop-Rock songs, most of the lyrics are based around love, girls, relationships and heartbreak. There are a few exceptions though, "Parallel Worlds" is written about supernatural events that happened in Alex and Ed's old boarding school, "The Broken Minor"'s lyrical theme is about the difficulty of writing a piece of music and then the satisfaction of seeing it all come together. All in all, the lyrics suit the music. Maybe not the most challenging on the brain, but they work with the music, so it's all good. // 8

Overall Impression: I'm not gonna lie, when I went to my local record store to buy this (13 minutes after it opened, yes, I counted) I cried on the bus home listening to it. Being a fan of elliot minor, a huge fan, and seeing them take so long to finally get a chance to silence the critics and hearing them do it in such spectacular fashion was too much for me. Epic finisher Last Call to New York was the one that did it for me, complete with a minute and a half of fireworks and cheering at the end. I love every song on this record, although the best ones are without doubt: "Parallel Worlds", "The White one is Evil", "Liar is you", "The Broken Minor", "Jessica", "Still Figuring Out", "Running Away", and "Last Call to New York". There is one slightly weaker song that I didn't think was as good, although still great, and that was: "Lucky Star". I don't know what it is, but I don't like it as much. There are better demos than this that didn't get included so it's a shame. Anyway, all in all, Elliot Minor is a great album, not perfect, but pretty damn close to it. I'd like to see any band that combined Classical, Pop and Rock music to top this with their debut release. // 9

Comments