The Scythe Review

Elvenking: The Scythe
Release Date: Oct 1, 2007
Label: AFM
Genres: Power Metal, Pop-Metal, Heavy Metal
Elvenking celebrated their tenth anniversary in 2007, a year that found the Italian band moving in a decidedly heavier direction.
 8.9
 9.7
review (1) 6 comments vote for this album:
The Scythe Reviewed by: Fool Dominhated, on may 21, 2008

Sound: Hi guys!!! This is my first review on UG, I please you to forgive my bad and poor English, but Im Italian student ', and I hope that you rate my review to see if this review is already good level or less in order to be able to improve. Thx at all. Finished my presentation, we talk about healthy and good metal. The Scythe is the fourth album of the Italian Folk/Metal band Elvenking (EK).Yes, you have understood correctly Folk/Metal, for some of you will play again, not for other. The Folk/Metal is a sub-genre of heavy metal music that developed in Europe during the 1990s. As the name suggests, the genre is a fusion of heavy metal with folk music. This includes the widespread use of folk instruments and, to a lesser extent, traditional singing styles. Currently the EK are one of the most representative band in the world of this music genre not widespread, but of great thickness; and this is why I write this review, to spread this beautiful genre. The Scythe is a concept album about Death, with lyrics centered around Death as a beautiful woman. This album sounds very varied and never repetitive, as if it were a metal opera, with the presence of riffs and solos of guitar and violin, piano, evocative chorus and the awesome voice of Damnagoras (Vocalist), furthermore every song is introduced by an explanation as if it were recited a poem. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album are similar because, as I said previously, is a concept album about death, and the band deals with every situation, emotion or feeling that the death may cause. This topic will be pleasant for some, less for others. The best Lyrics in the album for me are: Poison Tears, which deals with the weaknesses of men and their influenced consciences; Dominhate, which deals with the story of a sinner that is about to die, where he thanked the people dear to him and he cursed his enemies; others greats lyrics are Romance and Wrath, Infection, Death and the suffering. // 10

Overall Impression: The Scythe sounds very different from the previous albums of the band. The Scythe is nastier and darker than previous efforts, this because the topic of the album is the death, but the root folk metal remains intact. Now I will analyze one by one the songs of this album, to express what I love and what hatred of this album: 01. The Scythe - 9 One of the best songs the album and one of the easiest to store. The Scythe, along with The Divided Heart, is the fast track to appreciate the new style of the band. The song shows right now fingernails, but we lose nothing in terms of melody: good riff, the "usual & cursed" rhythmic guitar of Aydan (Guitarist) in the bridge, to one of refrain most successful ever in the history of the band. Excellent also the guitar solo, in full style Elvenking. Lovely test for Damnagoras, the first of a long series ... From sing and re-sing drunk from Friday evening ... 02. Lost Hill of Memories V 8 The lost hill of memories is a song compact, high chorus, which sees in the acceleration about three quarters of mould death his best time. 03. Infection V 10 Infection presents a mood very folk, very cool, especially on the good groove expressed by the rhythm section and from "dark" vocals of Damna (Vocalist). Beautiful leaving relaxed, embellished by piano. And yet, is the violin, with its melody like Arab, to make truly memorable song. Awesome !!! 04. Poison Tears V 10 Even a beginning able to amalgamate heaviness and electronics, appetizer for a bridge where is the growl to surprise and drag, an element that, which he felt the lack. Great refrain, excellent the acoustic part. A song, Poison Tears, which reaffirms clearly how Elvenking are masters of synthesis and fluidity.Best song of the album after Dominhate. 05. Riddle of Stars V 8 After so much noise, the sweetness of the violin accompanies us in the fifth track. Pleasant but certainly not the most significant piece of the album. 06. Romance and Wrath V 8 Track speculate, this, which begins as it ends. One of the songs where the intermingling text-music reaches levels of integration higher, with frequent changes of rhythm and mood to stress stages of the story narrated. 07. The Divided Heart V 9 A track direct, very catchy. Simply perfect! 08. Horns Ablaze V 9 (is a digipak Bonus track) What is a bonus track, usually? A song discarded by the band, because it considered inferior or far from the mood of the album. A song be included at the bottom of the disk to satisfy the demanding fans of the rising sun ... Here, Elvenking make lesson: their bonus track are all excellent, and are (sometimes) not included at the end of the disc, but somewhere inside the tracklist, as if to demonstrate that there are no fillers and that the bonus song has nothing to envy to others. All this to say that, even Horns Ablaze smoothly maintains the quality standard of the rest of the album. 09. Totentanz V 8 Totentanz is the german word which stands for dance macabre. Epic interlude,which contains the atmospheres folk. 10. Death and The Suffering V 8 The heaviest song in the album, with a riff that carries, a growl chorus and a great solo, which reflects perfectly the argument that is treated, the heaviest and bloodiest of the entire album, that of death and suffering 11. Dominhate V 10 and praise The best song ever made by the band, this song reflects all the essence of the Elvenking. Evocative and slight the first refrain, noise and folk. Epic and majestic the second. That is the same as the first,strong of a different arrangement.When the rhythms become more relaxed,thanks at the piano and sang liquid and suffered. But when the song seems to come to an end , arrives THE DEATH (very evocative lyric sung in growl) to bring wickedness where it was quiet. Back finally the chorus to bring balance. A few moments again, and the final reports saying everything to silence. Finally an album that initially seems strange, but grows with the ratings, showing a maturity and an ability to sum up simply unique.The Scythe is a longlived album and leads to be relistened for months and months with growing satisfaction. // 9

Comments