Punch The Clock review by Elvis Costello

• Users' score: 8 (1 vote)
Elvis Costello: Punch The Clock

Elvis Costello, possibly one of my favourite sognwriters of the past 25 years, really created a masterpiece with 'Punch The Clock'. Released in 1983, the record does have a fair amount of that dated 1980s sound, but you really don't have to pay a huge amount of attention to it because he really writes timeless melodies and lyrics. The overall sound isn't bad, it's just got one or two more synth-heavy tracks than I'd like. From rock n' roll to jittery pop Costello really covers all the bases with 'Punch The Clock'.

Amazing lyrics on this record, my favourite being 'Shipbuilding'. Subject matter ranges from songs about love to songs about topics such as the Falkland War. The words flow seemlessly with the music, a great example being 'Everyday I Write The Book' or 'The Element Within Her'. Costello's voice isn't perfect, but it makes for damn great melodies that sound so beautiful with the sound of the album.

'Punch The Clock' is classic Elvis Costello, it's a must-have for the casual rock fan or someone wanting to explore more of his work. I can't pick a favourite track and I think that after a few listens you'll understand why, every song is just so great. As I said before, it's a same that the 1980s pop sound drenches most of the record and I really wish I could hear Costello do a re-recording of these songs with a non-trendy sounding score. If someone stole this record I wouldn't blame them, everyone deserves to own it!