Emarosa review by Emarosa

• Released: Jun 29, 2010
  • Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
Emarosa: Emarosa

Emarosa's self titled debut is missing a lot of the style from their previous album "Relativity", but it still manages to be a powerful new piece. Songs such as "The Weight of Love Blinds Eyes" has breathtaking power coming from it with Jonny's amazing dynamics and range. The opener of the album, "A Toast to the Future Kids!", has a constant motion through the entire song and can fill one with adrenaline. There are a few disappointments though. Jonny has never ceased to amaze, but he does tend to outshine the rest of the band a bit. To me, this was the first album I heard Craig on that I could not focus on the instruments well enough. I also feel each instrument on this album was more written around Jonny's vocals than anything else. Their previous work had much of a metalcore sound to it, and this album lacks that a little bit. Possibly a different writing style since some of the tracks off the last CD were written before Craig was in the band, but still. A lot of the lead riffs done on the CD tend to sound the same. Some of the SONGS kind of sound the same a bit too. The musicians match the chords with the vocals well, but I don't think the band put as much thought into this album as they did their previous ones. Also, at times, Jonny's vocal range and melody can be amazing, but on this CD it gets a bit redundant, sometimes even repetitive on songs such as "The Game Played Right" and "Live It. Love It. Lust It". There are a few good songs (another "Broken vs the Way We Were Born"), but the whole CD doesn't flow together as well as "Relativity", sad to say. I think the album is definately worth a listen, but I changed my mind about buying it after I heard it. A bit disappointed.

Jonny's lyrics and singing have always been out of this world. His lyrics and singing provide an incredible amount of soul to whatever music he may be doing. The lyrics on the CD get a bit basic from time to time, but he still manages to put each word in its proper place. Line for line, all the lyrics are set up and said where they should be said over the music. Although, after hearing his lyrics when he was in DGD, his solo album, and the last Emarosa CD, I have to say he didn't step up as hard. His words are not as epic and each song tends to talk about the same general idea. Love, yes, but the words he uses aren't as metaphorical and there's not as many memorable lines. I DO think though, the next time we hear his lyrics, he'll step up to the plate a little harder.

Compared to "Relativity", this album is definately not one of Emarosa's greatest work. Fans of might be a bit disappointed. You might like it. I think there will be more disappointments than anything though. This album is missing their metalcore sound and their experimental influence we're used to having with their music. I do like a total of about 5 songs, but the rest I don't care too much for. Some music I've had to listen for a bit to become impressed, but I don't feel like this CD will do it for me. Like I had said before, definately worth a listen, but I wouldn't buy it. I'd like to hear their third LP.

imsimon
    pbech
    I heard "A Toast to the Future Kids," was blown away, and bought the album. Major dissapointment. The songs run together, and the vocals that sound so good in the opening track get old after the second song.
    jeowy
    i wasnt disappointed at all. i think it's an interesting new sound for the band, it just takes a bit of getting used to.
    Pr0teZT
    It's a real grower, for sure. I heard the 3 myspace songs and was blown away. then I heard the full album and I didn't know what to think. The style is completely different from Relativity. Also, the guitars and all instrumentation overall just seems worse (technically, also) than relativity. But if you look at this album on it's own, you'll be amazed by the beautiful melodies, INCREDIBLE singing, great songs and good production.
    Pr0teZT
    Also, I'd like to add that it's more of a 'winter album'. There isn't so much upbeat, bouncy material on this album (unlike relativity, which was 'happier' sounding, at least to me)
    Y-y-yeah
    To me it seems like it switched from Emarosa to Jonny Craig and Emarosa. This album was quite a disappointment =/.
    r0ckth3d34n
    It's way better than relativity, in some respects. It's still got that post-hardcore feel, but Jonny's voice is just so amazing. It almost reminds me of some songs from Downtown Battle Mountain when he was in Dance Gavin Dance... they've gone downhill since then... anyway... I was extremely disappointed in Pierce the Veil's new CD. After hearing this, I was very impressed.
    Fabrizet
    I haven't really liked anything from Jonny Craig since Downtown Battle Mountain. I liked old Emarosa much more before he joined and this seems disappointing.
    heyz0os
    personally, i believe nearly any band jonny craig is in, makes the music HORRIBLE. the music in this album was generic. also, when he was in dgd, the music WAS amazing, but is it a coincidence that once he got out the music reached new heights and got bigger? shame on emarosa for basing their sound around jonny craig.
    ryot44
    imsimon wrote: This is the best Emarosa album they've ever made with any vocalist, and it's the best album of the year. There's nothing bad about the instrumental part, if you're too stuck on Jonny's vocals that's a different thing
    It's definately less technical. I understand everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but if you think that the instruments are as technical or whatnot, that's stupid.
    Lt.DanHasLegs
    That's either trolling or stupid. You'd be hard pressed to build any real arguments that this is better than either relativity or your way out. as someone said before, past the second song, it's just mush. Very much Johnny Craig and the Emarosa's.