I'm Only A Man Review

Emery: I'm Only A Man
Release Date: Oct 2, 2007
Label: TNL
Genres: Alternative CCM, Alternative Pop/Rock
Eleven pounding songs that run the gamut from rock, alt-country, jazz and in-numerable other influences that the band has cited throughout their career, this trend setter is at it again with I Am Only A Man.
 8.4
 8.3
 8.5
review (1) 8 comments vote for this album:
I'm Only A Man Reviewed by: Slash_Epiphone, on october 31, 2007

Sound: After listening to Emery's older album where songs like 'walls', 'Ponytail Parade', 'Studying Politics', I was expecting something similar in their new album 'I'm Only A Man. The soaring vocals of Devin. The mellow yet soulfulness of Toby's vocals. Both their vocals shine in this album. The emotionally drench screams of Josh. The great guitar and drum works of Matt and Dave. I was expecting maybe a little more heavier and catchier of the old emery judging on 'The party Song' but then this album gave me something different but nonetheless, it s still has the Emery in them. A few songs that really stand out are 'Rock & Rule', 'A World Away' and 'can't stop the killer'. There are also great guitar lines in 'Can't Stop the killer'. // 8

Lyrics: Overall impression of the lyrics is that, emery doesn't write their songs to rhyme. They don't try hard to make it rhyme. It's very direct and straight to the point. As I listen to the lyrics, I can imagine the way the video/scene would be. It's so realistic. One fantastic line that always gets me is from Can't Stop The Killer. 'The part where he sings she may not be perfect, but oh my friend neither were you'. The way it's so straight forward and the way it blends with the melody just so amazing. // 9

Overall Impression: I've never heard any albums like this before so this is definitely a first for me. A few songs that really stand out are 'Rock & Rule', 'A World Away', the movie song and 'can't stop the killer'. I love how I can dance to this album only disappointment is that, the screams are as frequent anymore. Still, it's pretty impressive. it's shows that they have evolve and aren't making The question part 2 or 'The Weak End' part 2. If you are looking forward to hearing the old emery, I think this CD won't really be for you but if you're willing to give them a shot, I bet you would love them all the more. If it was stolen, I won't buy until there's a sale because I've already have it on my iPod but the CD cover is really impressive and so are the songs. // 8

Comments